melting gloss poly (c-15)

How does everyone that uses gloss poly melt it down? I finally bought some due to all of this fingernailing in my wax. I am getting it in all of my wax types.

I melted with the wax but you need to get it pretty hot. It is thick, viscous stuff! Hate to rain on your parade, but one of the worst fingernailed pilllars I've gotten was w/the polyC so I don't think it will be your answer.

e

I agree with eugenia. Gloss Poly is useful stuff but that's not what it's used for. Fingernailing is just one of our unsolved mysteries.

One thing I would differ with that was mentioned earlier is the idea of melting it in your Presto before adding wax. That gives you no control over the temperature at all and you can easily get it smoking. There's also no point because you'll still have to work at mixing it into the wax. It's like trying to incorporate melted plastic and takes a lot of stirring and time.

I think the best technique is to get it mixed with a smaller amount of wax and then add the rest. Be especially careful if you're only making one candle and using a pour pot to melt it. I usually hold it intermittently about 6 inches above the heat and use a candy thermometer to stir, so I can keep an eagle eye on the temperature.

I have to direct heat it in a small amount of wax to 220. If I put it in my warge melters, it goes up to 220 so I don't have that problem. Donita

I do the same thing - I add a few ounces of wax in with the Gloss poly and direct heat it, stir stir stir, add the rest of my wax, stir stir stir and then add the other ingredients.

I have been able to eliminate fingernailing in the OK6228 wax by using the Gloss poly at 1/2 teaspoon. I've never had fingernailing in any of my other waxes so I can't comment on those. (the other waxes I use are for mottling/rustic effect so I guess if they fingernailed I wouldn't notice it...)

DanaE