Business seems very slow

evesorto

Did two craft fairs so far this year. Attendence was WAY DOWN. One was new, so I have no comparison to last year. One I did last year. Sales were down by 50%. I did the same at both shows. (5x table fee). People are not coming out and when they do they are spending less. Only one person bought more than one candle. A third of my sales were from known customers. I did much better than the table mates around me, as many were jewelry and are competing with one another. There was another candlemaker there; she did 4x table fee and seemed ok with that.

It is a bit disheartening as I have never done less than 7.5x table and normally am over 10x. When sales are low, it's almost as if I am giving my candles away. I may hold off for awhile. I don't think that I want to do any expensive shows (for me this is a $50-60 table). Sometimes I feel that I do the same number whether my table is $30 or $50.

I was so gung ho this year to keep really good records, even try to record hours worked vs. sales vs. expenses, etc. This may not be the environment to do such an analysis.

Eve

I have been doing one show for 8 years. It has always been 200., then one year they went up to 250. That didn't work, so they went back to 200. This year it is 100. WOW. I sell out at that show. But I missed last year because I didn't have the money to make the product. I cried. I have never not had the money. Must have been a bad year, if they dropped it in half. Sad. All my shows where down this year. I am not doing many now. I can't afford the loss, if I lose. The more expensive shows are doing terrible. The vendors are going for the cheaper shows. I don't blame them.:yay:

I had the same thing happen this past November. I've been doing this same show for 3 years now, this year was the worst. They had also dropped their booth fee, but decreased the size of the booth by so much, I had to purchase two booths to get all my stuff in.

But,as long as they are reasonably priced, I'll continue to do shows. My main motivator for doing shows is to get out and see people. And the rest of my motivation is to make enough to cover my cost and make some extra to buy more supplies to play around with.

The ones I feel really bad for are the ones who do this for a living, I really hate to see all of the suppliers and crafters going out of business. It's just so sad.:sad2:

Bear with me here, but it is the environment to keeping track and it's not the time to not have your name out there. I was thinking the same as you, but have been told to weather the storm (so to speak) you've got to stay out. It's exposure no matter what. Sales may be disappointing, but to increase them, maybe you look at offering something smaller.

I'd definitely compare any previous years to this one. It's the only way to note trends regardless of the shape of economy. Keep in mind other people may be waiting to get their income tax money back before they spend. If your business thrived or did well while gas prices were $4 and higher a gallon, well it should be able to weather through a poor economy with gas prices going back up. There's no stability out there, but maybe you can be that for you customers so to speak.

I'd use this year to keep track of what you do etc. and see what you come up with and compare it to future years and the past. I can't imagine sitting out or holding off for a period. People will think you've disappeared and then you get to start all over again.

I'm only doing one show this month before the Farmers Market season starts here in May. I was surprised that in this economy the early spring shows had raised their entry fees. With my regular job hours cut back I am only going to the cheap shows for the time being.

Then I noticed one of the spring show recruiters dropped their show price by $10.

I am going to do exactly like Scented mentioned and keep doing my regular shows. I worked a long time to establish customers and have already had some ask if I would be at this months show and the market. So I will continue to go even if sales are down again this year.

Last year I was able to make more money even thou my sales were down 30%. I just did more shows to make up and ended up making more money. But this year I just don't have as much money to enter a lot of shows I did last year.

Hello, how do I find out where shows are in my area? I live in the 64064 zip code. I've searched the internet, but haven't found anything.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Nina

hi Nina!

A good place to start is thru your local Chamber of Commerce. I used a map and googled all the local Chambers and looked at their events calender to get craft fair info.

Another great way is thru other vendors at craft shows. I actually get the best info that way.

There are several craft show websites like craftlisters.com

but I don't use these as I found you can get better info thru the Chambers and vendors.

Bear with me here, but it is the environment to keeping track and it's not the time to not have your name out there. I was thinking the same as you, but have been told to weather the storm (so to speak) you've got to stay out. It's exposure no matter what. Sales may be disappointing, but to increase them, maybe you look at offering something smaller.

I'd definitely compare any previous years to this one. It's the only way to note trends regardless of the shape of economy. Keep in mind other people may be waiting to get their income tax money back before they spend. If your business thrived or did well while gas prices were $4 and higher a gallon, well it should be able to weather through a poor economy with gas prices going back up. There's no stability out there, but maybe you can be that for you customers so to speak.

I'd use this year to keep track of what you do etc. and see what you come up with and compare it to future years and the past. I can't imagine sitting out or holding off for a period. People will think you've disappeared and then you get to start all over again.

I understand...I think I will take your advice. Just weather the storm. On a positive note, one of my worst shows last year introduced me to a customer who owns a spa and she burns my candle exclusively (1-2 a week); she has already purchased 72 candles from me in the past year....so I guess you never know.

Eve

I have not done any shows yet this year. But from friends who have - the sales are down at some and up at others. Its a gamble. I enjoy getting out - but it does get expensive - by the time you get there and pay for the gas, the table etc. I am only doing a few and see how that goes. I have alot of repeat buyers and that is nice. But its hard to keep positive. People are out of work and some are close to lossing their homes. Things will turn around.. I just hope for everyone that is sooner than later. Keep posting how things are going.. at least you are not alone in this battle lol.