bronchitis

Yeah it's totally possible for FO to cause that.

A mask that's designed for painters could help. Personally I'd go with one of those real 3M respirators. Use it with the organic vapor cartridges--they work perfectly. You could stick your face in the pot and not smell a thing.

Your most intense exposure is when you're making the candles, at which point an exhaust fan is very a good thing. What used to get me though is the prolonged exposure of being around cooling candles. Try to cool them in an area separate from where you're hanging out or sleeping.

Yep, I got it a couple of times too. Right around fundraiser time. I have learned to pour from right to left so I'm not standing right over the previously poured candles. I also try to leave the room a while after pouring. And I SWEAR by this: Take a 20 min walk in the fresh air when I pour for several hours on end. I can't stand wearing a mask though, it is sufficating to me.

I've actually gotten stomach cramps with diarhea from certain oils. Particularly my favorite gingerbread fragrance. I learned to be careful not to stick my face over the pot when stirring and to ventilate the house on days I pour candles.

I found it also helped me to take a shower and change clothes when I'm done pouring. Haven't had a single stomach ache since I started doing these things.

I've never noticed a correlation between extreme candle making and getting ill. But when my candle making was small and mostly for myself, the "Candle making area" was being doubled as my kitchen, I could go through 100 Excedrine Migraine in less then 2 weeks.

Those FO's can kill ya!

My son's ex-GF and I used to pour at night while my hubby & son were sleeping. We caught a LOT of flack because the scents would sometimes awaken them, suffocate them and generally gross them out upon awakening. I can understand that morning might not be the best time of day to experience various FOs... Maybe we shoulda found some that smelled like bacon or sausage sizzling in the pan...:laugh2: All kidding aside, they didn't complain too much during the day or evening, but when they were sleeping, the FOs honestly bothered them.

I think that the power of the fragrances is underestimated, I poured pretty steady for 6 yrs. without proper ventilation etc. and experienced alot of medical issues including two bouts of a chemical pneumonia which the drs. put down to my candlemaking.

For the last two yrs. we have worked in a much better environment with exhaust fans as well as wore 3m respirators masks and things improved greatly.

Even now although I am near involved in candlemaking as I was I still will not pour without putting on the mask etc. I can feel it in my lungs and the effects last for days.

Please do what you can to improve your working conditions, masks fans etc. you only have one set of lungs and fragrances are full of chemicals that will not do them any good in large concentrations!