sugar scrub cubes

Greek

i've been experimenting with sugar cubes which i absolutely love, but i cant get mine the way i like them. (soft so they could break off) for example all i use is sugar (white, pure cane) a MP base, castile liquid soap and almond oil. i add more sugar than there is base, kind of an over saturation point, yet my cubes are always hard so the sugar soap doesn't lather unless you break the cube in half, which is fine but when the soap is too hard you can't really do that. Anyone can suggest how to make my cubes soft?

I've tried putting them in a ziplock back right after i pop them out the mold so they could retain moisture, but they still harden so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I have used a similar recipe. At first mine got hard also - then someone told me that I was heating my soap up too much. Try not heating your soap for so long. That helped with mine. They are still not soft - soft but they are not rock hard anymore. Does that make sense?

yes it makes sense, but i don't think i heat mine too hot either, as soon as the soap is melted i remove it from the double boiler and continuously stir the remaining small blocks till it melts.

i'll cover my melting soap to help retain moisture see if that'll help.

While it sounds nice, I think the ingredient INCI would be a long one if you are planning on selling these at some point.

I have been working on a similar one, however, I would like to add some SLSa or other foaming agent when I get it where I like it.

I have found out that I used too much sugar in my previous versions. I am now working on version 4.:rolleyes2

While it sounds nice, I think the ingredient INCI would be a long one if you are planning on selling these at some point.

I have been working on a similar one, however, I would like to add some SLSa or other foaming agent when I get it where I like it.

I have found out that I used too much sugar in my previous versions. I am now working on version 4.:rolleyes2

I couldn't agree more and I've been thinking the same thing. I have recently been playing with my foaming scrub recipe to see if I can get a consistency for cubes without the MP. Greek, I would be very concerned about that honey growing nasties!

i definitely understand. I was just playing around with it to get the consistency i liked. I tend to work like that, get it to where i want it and then tweak it a little bit to really get it going. btw what is INCI, because i do plan on giving some away in the near future.

i have seen some cubes on etsy http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_3&listing_id=22668855&ga_search_query=sugar+cubes&ga_search_type=tag_title&ga_page=&min=&max=&order=

if you take a look at the ingredients it looks like just sugar, glycerine (shave soap) and oils, maybe a preservative here and there. i'm guessing that's what the vit E oil and grapeseed extract are for.

Ingredients: Sucrose, Glycerine Soap [Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Elaeis guinnesis (Palm Oil), Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Carthamus Tinctoruis (Safflower) Seed Oil, Glycerine, Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Sorbitan oleate, Soy bean protein], Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (OrganicSweet Almond) Oil,

Bolded are INCI names of ingredients.

Plus IMHO when you list the INCI you can't really do it correctly when you don't know the %s of each of the ingredients in the soap. Since you have to list the ingredients from highest % to lowest, how do you know where your other ingredients "fit" in there.

ETA: Vit E & Grapeseed extract are NOT preservatives. They do help extend the life of oils, but in no way preserve them.

i have seen some cubes on etsy http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_3&listing_id=22668855&ga_search_query=sugar+cubes&ga_search_type=tag_title&ga_page=&min=&max=&order=

if you take a look at the ingredients it looks like just sugar, glycerine (shave soap) and oils, maybe a preservative here and there. i'm guessing that's what the vit E oil and grapeseed extract are for.

These particular cubes have no preservatives. She advertises as preservative free, and mentions they may go bad if moisture is introduced to the jar. Suggests just taking one cube to the bath with you.

I had never seen these before. Quite a neat idea.

Glo

• 9 months later...

I just made these the other night and I think I have stumbled on to something here... they are firm but not hard hard, ya know?? I do think I need to decrease the sugar a bit because they are kinda crumbly when I cut them... my question is how are you packaging these? I've seen jars and bags out there on the www but I'm not sure what sells well... I would think the cubes would hold up better in a jar - I've even seen these "wrapped" then put into a jar... maybe to keep moisture in or out??? I don't know... all I know is I'm excited and I can't decide!! LOL TIA for any input...

Life & Light!

Tish

• 2 months later...

I want to make the sugar cubes too!!!

I just saw some on another site and I think that is a great idea!!

I would rather take a cube into the shower than bring my scrub jar in the shower.

I heard that you don't want one with alot of oils because your tub will need washed.

So, some people use m&p soap and emulsifier wax.

I am researching.

I am excited too.

Hahahaha, this thread was march 2009 and made a come back:p

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...