fda ingredient labels

Lyndsay

I have searched and searched even looked on the fda website. I am still trying to *report* someone on a website like etsy because she does not have labels/ingredients on her items. She refuses to even tell me what is in them and I am trying to look for some stuff for my mom, who has alot of allergies. I was told to send the link that states the fda mandates ingredients on labels. Im sure someone here has it saved and can quickly copy and paste it for me. TIA

I am still trying to *report* someone on a website like etsy because she does not have labels/ingredients on her items.

Read here http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/problem.html

Then go here http://www.fda.gov/oc/buyonline/buyonlineform.htm

Or if for some reason you wish to educate her, start here: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-lab4.html

and here: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-lbl.html

Thank yall. Im about to start my research with those threads you sent. The woman is from hyena cart and refuses to give ingredients. I have found there are several on there that refuse. I emailed the lady who runs hyenacart and she wants the website/link that states what the fda says. Im sorry, but as the owner or one that runs hyenacart, you should know the legality issues involved in everything you allow to be sold--and enforce it. OkOk off my soap box.

I don't think she has to tell you the ingredients. They just have to be on the labeling should you get your hands on some. Clearly the laws were written without "remote" purchasing in mind - but until they are changed the laws only refer to labeling as far as I know.

That said, it's very very bad business to refuse the ingredient list. I won't even bother to ask if they aren't on the web site - I simply go to a different vendor.

I don't know why people have a problem putting ingredients on a site. I would think with the amount of allergies and reactions people have to stuff, that if it's on the site and the person still buys, they had a chance to see it.

Right now, I don't believe there's a law requiring all ingredients have to be listed on labeling or website, but I don't doubt that one is coming.

Ok email is sent to the person/people who run hyenacart. They even have people on there that sell food and even THEY do not list the ingredients! I have bought from them too and there was no ingredient list. Ahhhhh it just gets on my nerves. They are going to think im such a trouble maker. But Im not, I promise. LOL

Actually I believe food labeling is quite different and required.

As for soap, people don't have to label. People who want their customers aware of what they are buying do, but I do believe that is going to eventually change and that the FDA will require everything to be labeled.

So evn though the fda requires ingredients on cosmetic labels, that is not *the law*. Sorry if I sound ignorant. Im not, I promise. lol

it is the law that it appear on the label.

on the LABEL is not the same as on a web site or in an email.

ETA: YOU are not a trouble maker. I, on the other hand, am a known trouble maker!

And I've contacted etsy, ebay, and the FDA on occasion - that's not being a trouble maker.

I don't think your a trouble maker. If you're going to buy a product, you have the right to know what's in it before you eat it, apply it to your skin, etc...

I simply cannot understand why someone would hold out on giving you that type of information. Just giving someone a list of ingredients isn't going to give away your recipe.

Even if it isn't information that is *REQUIRED* to leave on a website or exchange, it's not an unreasonable request.

I wouldn't do business with them and if they're breaking any type of law, I'd turn them in faster then you can blink.

Your complaints to the FDA just add fire to the fuel over the FDA Globalization Act and serves as ammunition for why they should enact such a law, ultimately resulting in yearly registration fees that could cost in the thousands and require rigid paperwork for every product you sell, effectively shutting down every small home-based business or crafter trying to earn a little extra spending money on the side.

If the seller's website doesn't list the ingredients and the owner refused to provide you with a list of ingredients, the choice is simple--don't buy from her. If you purchased something from her and the ingredients weren't listed on the product then you have a right to complain.

When I purchase something I expect the ingredents to be listed on the product. When I make something for sale I allways list the ingredents on my site and on the product. So in case they do have an allgery to something they won't buy my product. If they don't list it on there site then they should atleast list it on the product. If not I buy from someone else who does list the ingredents.

Although that may be true...Im sorry but people*s health and wellbeing is more important than businesses..big or small making money.

Your complaints to the FDA just add fire to the fuel over the FDA Globalization Act and serves as ammunition for why they should enact such a law, ultimately resulting in yearly registration fees that could cost in the thousands and require rigid paperwork for every product you sell, effectively shutting down every small home-based business or crafter trying to earn a little extra spending money on the side.

If the seller's website doesn't list the ingredients and the owner refused to provide you with a list of ingredients, the choice is simple--don't buy from her. If you purchased something from her and the ingredients weren't listed on the product then you have a right to complain.

I am primarily a candlemaker but this has gotten my attention. I've had to do some research on the candlemaking end and had this bookmarked: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-218.html

Now according to the way I read it anything that you apply to your body that is not strictly a "soap" is considered a cosmetic. That would be lotions, body butters and other topicals, right? So Lindsay, when you say her "items" I imagined you were refering to things other than soap.

So then this would be the labeling requirement: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-lab1.html Which includes this statement: "The ingredients must be declared in descending order of predominance."

What particularly caught my eye was this statement: "The ingredient declaration must be conspicuous so that it is likely to be read at the time of purchase." So if it is available from an internet site I would imagine the ingredients should also be listed on the site.

Like I said before ~ I'm not on the B&B side and could very possibly be wrong. But it seems the Fair Packaging & Labeling Act contains the labeling requirements.

Am I off base here?

What particularly caught my eye was this statement: "The ingredient declaration must be conspicuous so that it is likely to be read at the time of purchase." So if it is available from an internet site I would imagine the ingredients should also be listed on the site.quote]

Wow that is interesting,. I hadnt thought of that. And yes I am referring to items other than soap. Im referring to headache balms, bathtime soaks (Im not sure if this requires labeling) for children with essential oils ....Id be concerned that if she doesnt even follow the rules on labeling the ingredients according to the fda, who knows if she even knows the danger in using too much eo in children items (childrens bodies can only handle half the amount adult*s can), herbal tea lotions, hair conditioners, face wash, body butter, facial serum, skin relief cream, body scrub etc. And...she doesnt add preservatives in order to keep her items natural.

This woman just really irks me that she wont give her ingredients cuz I wana try the headache balm for my mother...but she has allergies (beeswax, nuts, etc)

Ah well, maybe I can learn to make one for her.

Just reading this though, but hope they are licensed to sell something called headache balm. A product cannot make claims.

As for bath soaks -- require labels.

As for anything with children -- really hope they pay attention to the new law requirements that I think came out in February, because that's a whole other story.

The other stuff you listed ... all require a listing of ingredients.

Makes sense what they say about a website listing ingredients. I honestly haven't seen anything that requires the listing of the ingredients though. But here's something you can do ... point the FDA to her website.

She can't make a claim and I don't think she can call something headache balm either. That alludes to medicinal and that's a big time no no.

As much as I am against the FDA globalization act and what it will do to small businesses, I'm against not playing the game fairly either. And I have a real problem with people making all natural claims too ... because most of the time they aren't. I guess my bigger peeve is the deception in the market place.

Wow...I just read her policies statement...you have to ASK for an ingredient list you purchase. Items come with instructions for use...that's it!

She also states:

"While we use only FDA and USDA approved ingredients, you

are responsible for checking ingredient lists for potential allergens or irritants."

So, I guess that means if you forget to ask for the list when you buy, you are out of luck?

I'd never buy from someone as deceitful as this.

Why don't you just email the seller and tell her the things your mother is allergic to and ask her if her products contain any of them?

Better yet, just don't buy from that seller. Why keep getting your knickers in a knot over that seller? The seller most likely won't sell to you now anyway if you've been a pita to her. There are alot of reputable sellers out there to choose from. Try googling "headache balm", or like you said, learn to make it yourself. Making balm isn't that hard, and researching the eo's that help relieve headaches isn't hard either.

And yes, if you are looking for a soap that lathers well, you should also state that you are looking for products that don't contain the following "list mom's allergic products here". Easy peasy. You might get more responses for your classified ad, or someone willing to work with you.