Shipping during summer months

Hi, I usually shut down for the summer months due to heat. I noticed though some places online are open all year long. I do all my business online and ship all over the U.S. Unfortunately, some states like TX, AZ, NM I can't ship to until almost end of Oct and have to stop around next month if it has not gotten hot by then. I don't know any other way to keep it running. Any suggestions or ideas? I checked into UPS but they are still the same as priority mail with two three day deliveries and longer. Thought ya'll might know....Thanks for any ideas or help!

Hi Coco, please know I don't mean to offend but there's NO WAY your freezing and adding frozen water packets will work! They would work for packing a lunch or something but your items won't stay frozen for more than a few hours. Ziploc bags open all the time too so basically you're zipping zipped up water that can burst at any moment. It's only a matter of time before they burst and wet everything, your customers will not be happy, plus it can add to the shipping charges (weight of water) if you're not using flat rate. Please reconsider and find another method! It's simply impossible and your water packs, in a hot truck, would barely survive a few hours (and I mean a FEW). I won't even mention the frozen items, those will maybe last 1-2 hours frozen and you risk damaging them. Just put some frozen items in your car and see what happens. Again, I don't mean to offend but just had to say something, for your benefit and your customers'.

Melany

Hi Coco, please know I don't mean to offend but there's NO WAY your freezing and adding frozen water packets will work! They would work for packing a lunch or something but your items won't stay frozen for more than a few hours. Ziploc bags open all the time too so basically you're zipping zipped up water that can burst at any moment. It's only a matter of time before they burst and wet everything, your customers will not be happy, plus it can add to the shipping charges (weight of water) if you're not using flat rate. Please reconsider and find another method! It's simply impossible and your water packs, in a hot truck, would barely survive a few hours (and I mean a FEW). I won't even mention the frozen items, those will maybe last 1-2 hours frozen and you risk damaging them. Just put some frozen items in your car and see what happens. Again, I don't mean to offend but just had to say something, for your benefit and your customers'.

Melany

Thanks for the concern, but after 10 years in business it may be a little late to "reconsider my method". It isn't meant to last days, but yes it does keep things cold for MUCH longer than a few hours. I have been told that items are still fairly cold when they arrive 3 days later, so yes it is effective. I ship whipped scrubs ALL summer long and have never had a single one arrive melted. As for the ice packs, they are in a ziplock within a ziplock etc so that they don't leak (larger orders will get dry ice). The few items that don't ship flat rate? I would rather pay the extra shipping and a few bucks for some dry ice than have zero sales, but that's just me.

Well, I'm in southeast Texas, just outisde of Houston and I ship all year! I have done so for 7 years with NO complaints of melted/wonky candles.....

What's the deal? I pack the candle jars in the boxes the jars came in and use lots of peanuts and newspaper inside the large packing box...newspaper is a good insulator...

Don't loose business just because it's hot.....ship priority and everything should be OK.

Actually, on my website, during the summer months I ONLY offer priority mail just to be sure they get to their destination in a timely manner.

Geez, if I didn't ship until October, I'd have to close.

HTH

Well, I'm in southeast Texas, just outisde of Houston and I ship all year! I have done so for 7 years with NO complaints of melted/wonky candles.....

What's the deal? I pack the candle jars in the boxes the jars came in and use lots of peanuts and newspaper inside the large packing box...newspaper is a good insulator...

Don't loose business just because it's hot.....ship priority and everything should be OK.

Actually, on my website, during the summer months I ONLY offer priority mail just to be sure they get to their destination in a timely manner.

Geez, if I didn't ship until October, I'd have to close.

HTH

Thanks Ladies...I make candles with 464 and have had some in states like TX and AZ that say during the hotter months, the candles get really melted. Now some of my customers will stalk the mailman as I only use priority for them, but others may work and leave their stuff out in the open all day until they return. Its just those hotter states that get me, but yet have a ton of people I sell to out that way. Just wondered what I was doing wrong.

I do not use ice like coco but I do put a limit on shipping in the summer I will only ship on Monday or Tuesday through the summer and I never ship UPS in the summer they take to long I will ship USPS or Fedex both will get to anywhere in the USA in less than 5 days.

I do not use ice like coco but I do put a limit on shipping in the summer I will only ship on Monday or Tuesday through the summer and I never ship UPS in the summer they take to long I will ship USPS or Fedex both will get to anywhere in the USA in less than 5 days.

Thanks all! I just know occasionally Priority even though you pay for three day service, it can take up to five business days depending on state according to USPS. Just seemed like mail was taking longer and the hotter states had big melted messes. I don't mind shutting down the summer months as it gives me time for my family and a much needed break before the candle season really begins for fall and Christmas but I have some who wish I could stay open and still ship. Other than overnight which no one will pay, wasn't sure how everyone was doing it with any candles and just curious. I guess some could have them shipped to offices but I think what is getting us is transporting to and from. Like it could stay in the back of an 18 wheeler for two days where it gets really hot. See what I am saying? Some even though they are stalking the mailman and waiting to grab the box as delivered, are still melted. Not as bad as some like hot states, but still melted. I switched from CB advanced to 464 so wasn't sure if this would make a difference or not.