Martha Stewart

Bev

I oftentimes receive comments from people about how crazy I am to try to build up a candle business AND work full time, why would I want to take on any more work, etc.? Well, I LOVE candlemaking. I mean, just LOVE it. I never think of it as a chore. Anyway, I was watching Martha Stewart Apprentice last night and something she said really hit the nail on the head for me. She commented that when she is out in the garden, she always says she's "gardening," not "working"in her garden, because as soon as you attach the word "work" to it, you mentally begin to consider it just another chore and you don't take pleasure it in any longer. It was like, "BINGO, Martha! Right on!" This is exactly how I feel about making my candles but never could express it in words. Just thought I'd share. :D

I think that is a good statement!!! And you just keep making your candles because you do LOVE THEM,,,I have come to the conclusion that the ones that say we are crazy are usually either Jealous or unhappy and wish they could have a hobby,,,thanks for sharing Bev.

It kinda funny that you brought this up....Last night my Dh was talking about my candle and soap making.... and he called it WORK! :mad: I told him thats a nasty word and he should wash his mouth out with my new cranberry soap I made.:tongue2:

This is the soap police..and I do NOT see a picture of your new cranberry soap in the gallery. So...hop to it girlie.

Martha knows what she's talking about sometimes I think! :)

I know how you feel, Bev. On my slow days at my 8-5 job, I am plotting what will be in my pot by 5:30. My day job is kind of seasonal but I still have to be in the office everyday and oh how I wish I could just go home and do something constructive. So many things to create - so little time. I love candlemaking - Even the flops.:bliss: :bliss:

I agree with all of you. I'm new to this and of course am not selling my candles. I found something that I absolutely love. There is something about it that is so relaxing for me and makes me want to learn more. The idea of creating new and different candles is so invigorating. I can't wait to take it out of the mold to see how it turned out. It is like a surprise waiting for me every time. This is fun fun fun, I love it, love it, love it. My husband plays golf and I've played a few times and it is okay but I don't want to spend my whole day playing golf. I would, however not have a problem spending my whole day creating candles. :) He needs to play more golf so I can make candles.

It's such a great thing to express your creativity.

I have a job that sucks the life out of me..and when I have my candle days on the weekend....it's just like a breath of fresh air.

I agree..I love every part of it, but especially taking those babies out of the molds...I've been working on layered pillars..I never write anything down..just eyeball the color and the layers. Each one is different and just such a gas.

I never would consider it work.

J.

I tend to think of candlemaking as a form of meditation. To some, it's crochet, to others, it's working on cars, raking leaves, maybe even fix the roof. It's a way to connect oneself to the creative energies of the universe and those within ourselves. So no, it's not work, even when I call it that on the rarest of occasions. It's my paradise, my void, my place of peace.

Okay, now that I've got the universal gushy stuff out of the way....

I feel like Martha Stewart too. I plan to run the candlemaking class in the slammer.

ROFL!!!! OMG, YOU WOULD SAY THAT!!!