need help.....please

Hi,

I am attempting to make a para-soy ( palm ) wax pillar. At least that is what they told me the wax was. The place had one and it had these beautiful star - feathered look to it. I asked what wick and was told I could use zinc but to wick up, that was about a year or so ago. My actual ? is can I use a zinc wick? I am not intending to make these candles for resale only just to try one for myself. I only do parrafin candles & have used one pour wax such as J-50 in the past. So when it comes to this type of wax and look I am completely dumb. I just want it to burn and was told it wouldn't burn at all with a zinc cored wick which is all I have right now. Actually I would of purchased a different wick today but called her when I was on my way home to ask about the wick, which she said cotton cause the zinc would not burn at all, even though the same person said a zinc would work last year. I may have to wait till I go again which is far away for me, but would love to make one soon. Any help would be appreciated.

Jane

The wax you refer to is called feather palm. Parasoy is a blend of parrafin and soy waxes and is completely different.

Palm is a harder wax and can be tricky to learn how to wick. I have used LX wicks in my palm pillars with good success.

What kind of candle are you trying to make? That might help to narrow down a starting point for a wick.

para-soy ( palm ) wax pillar

Paraffin and palm wax have quite different burn characteristics. I use CDN wicks for all my veggie candles. CDs work well for palm also. As for what size, depends on the size of the pillar. Palm wax leaves a shell that cannot be hugged, so wicking is critical for a pillar that burns pleasingly without blowing out the side. Try searching the Veggie Wax forum for palm wax - there's a ton of information on its burn characteristics and wicking suggestions. :)

Thank you for your replies. I am really confused by what this wax is but the directions say it is homegrown blend soypb. It says it will give a marble effect. Heat to 200 then add dye and then fragrance pour into heated metal molds. The place I got it was a candle supply that sells only supplies for candlemaking but they never want to tell you the manufacture or the actual name of the product, they create there own ( marketing purposes ) can't blame then I guess. Anyway I was going to make a 3x4 pillar, I only have about a pound of wax. I looked at this wax really close and it looks like small round beads,but powdery at first glance, If that helps to identify what type it is, maybe not. I just feel very confused now with it. I may have to try to get another wick other than zinc core. I will do a search and see what I can come up with. Once again thanks for the help. I welcome any other or further coments as well.

Jane

The wax you have is from At Wix End. I would e-mail them and ask what wick is suggested. I made a pillar years ago with that wax and it was a beautiful candle, with an awesome throw. Without looking at my notes I think I used a 62c for a 3x5 octagon.

hth

Ruth

homegrown blend soypb

Sounds like a palm/soy blend.

they never want to tell you the manufacture or the actual name of the product, they create there own ( marketing purposes ) can't blame then I guess

This is a major irritant to me. If a supplier wants to make their own blend or private label another manufacturer's product, then they should be EXTREMELY helpful in telling their customers what's in the danged thing... this secrecy is a disservice to the candlemaker AND the end-use customer. One can be told it's a X% palm, X%soy, X%whateverelse blend without giving away their precious "secret" formula.

For wicking a 3" palm pillar, I would try a CDN14. With the soy in it, I would probably start with a CDN12. HTH :)