Help with Tureens

Ahhhhh!! I love these tureens but they are driving me crazy trying to wick them.

I am testing the 3oz, 8oz, and 11oz. I am using EL pure soy wax, htp wicks (all different sizes). The first burn achieves a FMP within 2 hours. The next burns start tunneling.

Has anyone successfully wicked these babies? If so do you have any suggestions for me. I'd love to carry these in my line but I just can't seem to get it right.

Thanks Stella!! I actually have already done that for the vegetable wax board only (I use soy wax, which would wick different then other waxes). I only found a couple posts, not much info :sad2:

Here ya go...I saw the one about the fundraising...Bugtussle sells tureens maybe she can give you some help..?HTH..a little...:smiley2: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1267515

Kimmeroo:smiley2:

I am having major problems wicking them too. I love the jars, very cute. I have given up right now and decided to do more research on wicking them. :( I am now testing them as wickless jars. I use the 11 oz jars.

What wicks are you using? What wax....and what is the diameter of the tureens?:smiley2:

Kimmeroo:smiley2:

I was using 2 cotton core 60 or 70. Both of those failed me... so I went to candle science website. I ordered the LX 26 like they recomend. (jar size is 3 7/8 inches in diameter). I read that anything over 3 needs two wicks, but felt that LX 26 was rather large, so I poured 2, put 2 wicks in 1 jar and 1 in the other. The testing has shown that the 2 wicks are just way to large... and blew them out after 1 hour...(had a full melt pool and 1 1/2 inche depth). I got a full melt pool and 1/2 inche depth with the first burn with the 1 wick... (after 3 hours) which i'm thinking may be good since it is 3.25 inches at the top. I'm waiting for the candle to harden again before doing my second burn. Maybe I just got lucky and got a wick on my 3/4th shot :-) I am using the ecosoya advanced wax. I'll let you know how it finishes. (will take a few days)

I was using 2 cotton core 60 or 70. Both of those failed me... so I went to candle science website. I ordered the LX 26 like they recomend. (jar size is 3 7/8 inches in diameter). I read that anything over 3 needs two wicks, but felt that LX 26 was rather large, so I poured 2, put 2 wicks in 1 jar and 1 in the other. The testing has shown that the 2 wicks are just way to large... and blew them out after 1 hour...(had a full melt pool and 1 1/2 inche depth). I got a full melt pool and 1/2 inche depth with the first burn with the 1 wick... (after 3 hours) which i'm thinking may be good since it is 3.25 inches at the top. I'm waiting for the candle to harden again before doing my second burn. Maybe I just got lucky and got a wick on my 3/4th shot :-) I am using the ecosoya advanced wax. I'll let you know how it finishes. (will take a few days)

With the eco advance and a jar with a total diameter of 3 7/8" try two CD 10's. That has worked well for me in my testing over the years. The other option is two HTP 83's again this worked well however I do admit I prefer the burn of the CD wicks. You may be able to do a single wick if you used something like a HTP 126 or 1212 but single wicks in that diameter from my experience can be a hit/miss situation depending on the scent in soy waxes. HTH!

Well, after the 3rd day of test burning on my 11oz with HTP104 (2); it is doing great. It started out with a little hangup but has worked itself out of that. (I'm not too excited yet; as last week the same fragrance didn't reach a FMP with the same wicks).

I'm wondering if having a little wax hang up (less than 1/32 on about 1/2" of the jar) is such a bad thing??? My obsessivness tells me yea it is! But, I just wonder if customers pay that much attention to it??

I use the ecosoya advance wax in a 8oz tureen and I use cd16. Been using them since I went to a candle convention and had my jar as a tester there and that was the size of wick they ended up with. Since I started to use cd16 no problems works great.

• 4 weeks later...

I was relieved to see this thread. I am new to candles and started with the tureens and I have been very frustrated by them, and seriously thought about giving up on them. I decided to stick with them for one more order because they are such great sellers once you get your combinations right and I have now perfected about a dozen recipes. The smallest tureen is the most troublesome. When LX16 and LX18 don't work, I resort to two smaller wicks ECO 2-3 this has worked for me. The 8 oz tureen usually works fine with the LX 26 wick or LX 28. LX 28 will sometimes mushroom most of the time LX 30 is overkill.

I think the jar being narrow at the top and then widening in the center is the cause of the problem. It fools you by achieving full melt pool easily to begin with, then begins to leave behind a layer of unmelted wax about half way down the jar. I find this is far more prevalent with the smallest jar. People love them though, if you can get the right wick for your f/o and colors you have a sure seller especially the smallest jar. It is great for first time customers as a try me.

I was relieved to see this thread. I am new to candles and started with the tureens and I have been very frustrated by them, and seriously thought about giving up on them. I decided to stick with them for one more order because they are such great sellers once you get your combinations right and I have now perfected about a dozen recipes. The smallest tureen is the most troublesome. When LX16 and LX18 don't work, I resort to two smaller wicks ECO 2-3 this has worked for me. The 8 oz tureen usually works fine with the LX 26 wick or LX 28. LX 28 will sometimes mushroom most of the time LX 30 is overkill.

I think the jar being narrow at the top and then widening in the center is the cause of the problem. It fools you by achieving full melt pool easily to begin with, then begins to leave behind a layer of unmelted wax about half way down the jar. I find this is far more prevalent with the smallest jar. People love them though, if you can get the right wick for your f/o and colors you have a sure seller especially the smallest jar. It is great for first time customers as a try me.

I've got the 11oz and 20oz tureens working well. I am still having issues with the 3 oz and the 6 and 8 oz. When you say "smallest" jar I assume you are talking about the 3oz? I thought that size would be great for customers to sample fragrances in ~ dang! Back to the lab on it!! I haven't tried LX's; I'm using HTP.

If you don't mind me asking, do you sell the 3 ouncers individually or do you pack a few together?

• 3 years later...
I've got the 11oz and 20oz tureens working well. I am still having issues with the 3 oz and the 6 and 8 oz. When you say "smallest" jar I assume you are talking about the 3oz? I thought that size would be great for customers to sample fragrances in ~ dang! Back to the lab on it!! I haven't tried LX's; I'm using HTP.

If you don't mind me asking, do you sell the 3 ouncers individually or do you pack a few together?

I wicked the 8 oz tureen in 6006 with one 62 z and it worked great! It tunnels down to the bottom and then cleans the sides.