Going Wickless

rebeccajo99

I've been reading the forums on wickless candles and I am just not finding what I'm looking for. So sorry, if it is acutally out there and I just missed it. I started contiplating wickless candles since I had a problem with one of my wicked candles. So, I have ordered a warmer and waiting for that to come in the mail. I have my first 3 wickless candles poured and curring. So, my question is... how long and how often should you test wickless. Is it the same for wicked? I also put 1 1/2 oz of FO per lb of soy wax, Is that good or not enough? (using ecosoya advanced) Last question... if you like the throw in wicked candles, is there a need to test the wickless candle made the same way. Sorry if I sound stupid on this, but decided to go into the world of wickless as well.

can somebody please help me with this. I have been searching this forum for 2 days now trying to find the answer. I want to sell wickless, but it just seems like an odd thing to test. Its not like your using a flame to get a good burn and melt pool.

How long do you test these and do you do it with every scent. I'm putting the max amount of scent for this wax. Sorry, but I'm just getting discouraged by not getting an answer to my question.

On wickless candles I just test for scent throw. I honestly make them even if the throw isn't great for those customers that prefer a lighter scent. I use mostly 6 oz tins, but have used 4 oz in the past. I also make the clamshell melts and shaped melts using chocolate or silicone molds. I usually use 1 oz fo pp of wax regardless of whether it is wicked or wickless. There really isn't nearly the testing you have with wicks. Some scents will last a month of warming every day and others only a week, it's all going to depend on how the customer uses the wickless.

HTH!!

Thank-you Kandle Krazy for answering. My warmer should come today and I will check for throw. They have a great cold throw, so I'm sure I will be happy with a hot throw too. When my husband and I were talking last night he was wondering about heat. So I'm going to check glass and wax temp too. I know that isn't something that I will be able to control with the different warmers, but at least I know how hot they are getting on mine.

You are welcome! I use my jar candles on the warmers all the time, but my glass is very thick at the bottom so I've never had an issue with the glass cracking...actually I've never had any glass crack on my burners, but some people say they have had it happen. When my wicked candle gets down to the very bottom I use it as wickless until the scent is gone...no waste that way.

Good luck with your "new" project and have fun with it.

Hi Rebecca!

I have a question too..maybe you know since you use CBA...I am going to start making the wickless also and I have a full box of CBA...question....do you still have to cure them for the wickless and how long?:smiley2:

Kimmeroo:smiley2:

Good question. Sorry I don't know if my answer is correct. I always let my wicked candles cure for 48 to 72 hours before starting my testing. I just did the same for my wickless. Maybe I'm wrong on my curing for wicked too. (If I am, please let me know)

Good question. Sorry I don't know if my answer is correct. I always let my wicked candles cure for 48 to 72 hours before starting my testing. I just did the same for my wickless. Maybe I'm wrong on my curing for wicked too. (If I am, please let me know)

Thanks for the reply...I thought so...sounds right to me.:smiley2:

I'm dong some more research on wickless on this forum and have a question. I have been testing a wickless for 2 days now in an 11 oz tureen jar (and still have a lot of testing to go on it yet)

However, I'm reading that maybe I should not be using these tureen's for wickless due to glass cracking and breaking. The supplier that I purchased these from said that they are great for wickless candles too, so I thought that would mean they would be safe for warmers.

Should I scrap them all together before wasting anymore money on testing these... or are they really safe and just the people who do not follow the safety instructions to the extream the ones having problems?

On wickless candles I just test for scent throw. I honestly make them even if the throw isn't great for those customers that prefer a lighter scent. I use mostly 6 oz tins, but have used 4 oz in the past. I also make the clamshell melts and shaped melts using chocolate or silicone molds. I usually use 1 oz fo pp of wax regardless of whether it is wicked or wickless. There really isn't nearly the testing you have with wicks. Some scents will last a month of warming every day and others only a week, it's all going to depend on how the customer uses the wickless.

HTH!!

Hi - I am new to all of this and I have been experimenting with soy and the clam packs. I also wanted to test using the silicon molds but my wax came out with a powder like coating and I was wondering what I needed to do to get rid of that? do you have any suggestions?

I'm dong some more research on wickless on this forum and have a question. I have been testing a wickless for 2 days now in an 11 oz tureen jar (and still have a lot of testing to go on it yet)

However, I'm reading that maybe I should not be using these tureen's for wickless due to glass cracking and breaking. The supplier that I purchased these from said that they are great for wickless candles too, so I thought that would mean they would be safe for warmers.

Should I scrap them all together before wasting anymore money on testing these... or are they really safe and just the people who do not follow the safety instructions to the extream the ones having problems?[/quote

I have been using thee 3oz tureens from candle science and have never had a problem with them. I have also used the 7oz ones wth good results. But for some reason I broke 2 of the 11 oz ones so I stopped using the bigger ones.

Hi - I am new to all of this and I have been experimenting with soy and the clam packs. I also wanted to test using the silicon molds but my wax came out with a powder like coating and I was wondering what I needed to do to get rid of that? do you have any suggestions?

You could try adding crisco(or coconut oil)...start out with just a little then if it needs more you can adjust it..start with 1tsp. per lb. of wax.:smiley2:

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone! Just found this board yesterday so I've been reading and reading and reading....well, you get it!:laugh2: Anyway, I have a question about wickless candles. How long does the scent last on these? Wouldn't it be kind of like a tart? They only have so many hours before the FO doesn't smell anymore. When you burn a candle that is wicked, say an 8 oz jar that burns for 50 or 60 hours, then you get that wonderful fragrance until the wax has burned all the way down. But with the wickless candles since they are being heated and melted like the tarts does that mean the scent isn't going to last as long as a regular candle? Really pondering on this. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if ALL candles were wickless candles.....that means I wouldn't have any more wicking problems!:yay: So if anyone could answer this for me I would really appreciate it! Thanks so much! Connie

maybe I should not be using these tureen's for wickless due to glass cracking and breaking. The supplier that I purchased these from said that they are great for wickless candles too, so I thought that would mean they would be safe for warmers.
We have no idea what kind of "warmer" a customer may be using. Not all warmers warm to the same temperature nor do they employ the same method to warm the "candles" (some use electric coils whereas others use tea lights, etc.). Glass containers are a poor choice for wickless "candles", IMHO, except for the kind of warmers that warm from above using a lamp...

You can test and test, but it's difficult to predict when glass will break and under what conditions. Even brand new canning jars break from time to time when they are put into a water bath and heated...

The wax matters, also. Palm wax, for example, is far more likely to shatter the glass (if it adheres strongly to the container) because it is so hard on top - it can either spew volcano-style or build up enough pressure to crack the glass.

I agree that glass is prettier on a warmer, but I would not use it in my own home, let alone sell it as a product to the general public, because I do not think it is the best choice for safety and leaves me too exposed to a lawsuit.

I use the 3 oz tureens and have never had a problem with them breaking. I have several warmers electric,tealight and a few more and I test them on all my different warmers. So far so good not one broken jar. I try the 11 oz tureens and one did break on me so I don't use them anymore.