What are CP soaps??

Guest Ox_B_love

Ah, gotcha. With CP, instead of melting a base and maybe putting in some additives then pouring into a mold, you develop a recipe of oils and/or butters to get your desired characteristics of the soap. You mix those ingredients along with any additives and lye to get a chemical reaction called saponification. It's much more involved than MP and can be more rewarding and frustrating too. You may go through a dozen different recipes before you settle on one or two that you really like.

HTH

**warning** making CP can and probably will lead to addiction, lol!

The reason why I like CP is that you can choose what ingredients you want in your soap. Your are in totall control. M&P has what ever the manufacturers put in it.

M&P has more of a play factor where you can do cool things like embeds and such and the opportunities are endless with it. With CP you can add chunks, but most people love swirls. The fancier the swirls the better!

In my area CP sells very well. People around here like the "total made from scratch" stuff.

Guest Ox_B_love

Thanks itsmejeffd for the the answer to my question. I dont know if i would go that way but it seems more interesting, like i get bored of the bases and i try to work my way up. Like i make my own lipbalm from scratch, lotion not yet but i can imagine its pretty easy. Thanks to the rest for giving me some insights into CP soap the only thing is i have very sensitive skin so maybe i should stick with base for soap because im not trying to add the wrong thing and have a very bad reaction. However being that i have sensitive skin I should look into a recipe for making moisturizing soap. I heard goats milk is good for that.

actually my sensitive skin cannot tolerate MP soaps. for me at least, CP is more gentle and easier to manage sensitivities with because YOU control what goes in.

soaps don't moisturize - they remove oils. some do a better job than others. the ones that don't remove oils efficiently are termed "conditioning" or even (ha!) "moisturizing" but they aren't. lotions add oils and moisture - soaps remove them.

^^^

I've used CP/HP/MP soap that had amazing conditioning FEEL, after a shower and/or bath. Both artisan [crafter] and high dollar brands. Perhaps they were not suitable for YOUR skin type my dear. Not all soap per se; strips the natural sebum.

YMMV. Every person has a different type of skin. CP IMO~ is far superior. Again~ my personal opinion. My skin is mega dry.

Guest Ox_B_love

Yeah the last person said it depends on skin types. I know that CP sounds better because i can make it how i want. Like for example im looking for a CP soap recipe that has shea butter or jojoba in it for the moisture. However i have sensitive skin and i used my m&p bases and nothing happened, but i would prefer something with a more softer feel. Like you said CareBear CP you can make it how you want so maybe illl look into making that. Thanks everyone for all the help I greatly appreciate all of it *getdown*

Also I think it is much cheaper to make CP recipes. Even if you use butters it still can break down to about $11 for a 4.5 lb batch with scent and colorants. That's around $2.44 pp. I'm sure you could even make cheaper CP recipes too.

Most MP bases are around $3 -4 pp without scent or color or counting if you have to pay shipping to get it.

Also I think it is much cheaper to make CP recipes. Even if you use butters it still can break down to about $11 for a 4.5 lb batch with scent and colorants. That's around $2.44 pp. I'm sure you could even make cheaper CP recipes too.

Most MP bases are around $3 pp without scent or color or counting if you have to pay shipping to get it.

Interesting observation!

I was running those numbers as well... but is that including the time it takes to make CP. I haven't looked much into it, but I assume the steps are longer.

no you don't use a crockpot. CP is the Cold Process. You put your oils and water/lye mix together stir till it traces then add what you want and put it in your mold.

Cure time is longer. There are ways you can make that shorter too.

Some batches do take longer. And it can take some time to decide what you are going to do. It is up to you whether to make it complex or easy.