I'm new to soapmaking

I purchased some pre-made cold process soap from a seller

that I wanted to scent and I guess its called milling

Well I tried following the directions in a book but my soap turned out really ugly looking..

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the correct steps are to do this?

There a lots of scents that color soap. Vanilla is the worst offender. But to answer you question, yes you can find fo's that do not color soap.

Watcha got on hand?????

Soapmaking is a blast. Hope your having fun:yay: :yay:

Welcome RetroMetroChic to the thrills of soaping! I've used Butt Naked FO in some whipped soap and it performed beautifully.. no discoloring. I used it in a regular CP batch and it didn't discolor. I used it in a OHP batch and used some pretty colors. That batch turned all ugly brown and only traces of what once was possible color are there. I haven't figured that one out yet, but then again, I haven't turned all my attention to it either.

Scented didn't 8-Gran use the vanilla stabilizer several many months ago? I've been gone for all these months but I know someone used it but never heard the results. Maybe we need a thread on this. It was either 8-Gran or some "Granny" -type name. Sorry, that's all my Rememberer will cough up at the moment :laugh2:

And Southern Soapers got it in too.

Hey Meridith, Have you tried the vanilla stabilizers and if so, what's your thought on them? I'm still sitting on some from BCN, but feeling more safe using TD instead lol.

I have not noticed any gritties or stickiness in my soap that I've used it. I admit I have not used it in my soaps scented with Pink Sugar and have only used like 2 or three times. I do use BCN's in our lotions though and have not noticed any problems with it in lotions.

I use WSP's in soaps but have used BCN's in soap as well. Both seem to work about the same They actually works pretty good at keeping soap from going dark for the most part. I do have a strawberry, vanilla, musk soap I've used it in that does have like 2 bars where the part of the bar that was against the side of the mold has turned brown but the rest of the bar along with all the other bars are still white.

The one thing I have noticed is that there will be an odor to the soap from the VS but that does cure out after a bit of time. I'll have to pay more attention to see if any grittiness starts. I have a bar of the SVM to take in the shower with me this morning to try. I'll let you know but the last batch of this scent I used it on was fine.

• 2 weeks later...