Drowning Wicks, PLEASE HELP!

I am using cb135A (ecosoya advanced). I keep having problems with drowning wicks. I am using the eco brand wicks. My candles will start burning fine and start drowning after a few hours or on my 2nd burn. What can be causing this? I have tried different jars and I still get the drowning wicks. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you

Do you think that may be the problem? I am starting to think that these eco wicks run small....I mean really small! :shocked2: I have run out of sizes for a 4 inch container, even the eco14 (the largest size available) are too small for it. I am stumped!

I get a great pool at first. As the candle burns down (1/2 way through) the flame starts getting weaker and weaker and wick starts to drown. The wax seems to overpower the wick. And like I stated earlier the eco14 isn't holding up in a 4 x 5 container. I am soooo stuck here. :confused: I've tried no dye no fo...nothing helps. I wonder if I am burn testing too soon. I wait approx 20 hours. Is it imparative that I wait 24 to 48 hours? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Do you think that may be the problem? I am starting to think that these eco wicks run small....I mean really small! :shocked2: I have run out of sizes for a 4 inch container, even the eco14 (the largest size available) are too small for it. I am stumped!
ECO 14 is plenty big, but I'm not sure you're going to be able to single wick a 4" container with CB-135. Maybe you should consider 2 much smaller wicks.

Oh sorry, I just realized you're talking about CB-Advanced. That's a little easier. See what happens with an ECO 12. Maybe the 14 is tunneling down before it can make a wide enough melt pool.

Mine, looks like a drinking high-ball glass. However, I have tried the 16 oz apothocary, a few other jars. I don't know what I can be doing wrong. I pour at 100. But I will try double wicking.....Thank you SOOOOO mUch!
Read my post again because I edited it. I misunderstood what wax you're using. You must have got it from BCN because they list it that way for some reason.

A few tips for CB-Advanced...

Add 3% stearic acid to avoid cracks or air pockets and pour it hotter, 140 to 160. Pouring cold accomplishes nothing with this wax.

I would definately double wick this jar with smaller wicks. I automatically double wick anything 3 1/2" or larger that I am using soy in. To me, those huge wicks are ugly when they get those mushrooms.
I bet if you used CB-Adv2 you'd take a shot at single wicking a round 4" container. It's so damned easy growing a melt pool with that wax and might not require a torch.

Maybe you could with this wax, but I could never get a FMP with KY Puresoy in my 3 1/2 jar. It is just a personal thing, but I just like the look of the double wicks too. With the bigger wicks, a lot of my FO's mushroomed badly and it was very unattractive. Seems like I have some of that wax in my cabinet somewhere. Might have to pull it out and give it a try.

I had no idea about double wicking in such a small jar. I am a NEWB...can you tell? LOL...... I double wicked my 16oz apothocary jar last night with 2 ECO12's. I will definately let you girls know what happened.

BTW.... I have been burning a container I found at Walmart (mouth opening is 4X3) with 2 ECO14's and it seems to be the only candle that has not been drowning so far. The wicks look big and ugly though. Thank you ladies so much!

Last night I double wicked the 16oz Apothocary jar with 2 ECO12's. I am burning right now. My MP is a little over 1/2 inch after 2 hours. No wax left on the sides. I used a 1OZ of WYW scent. No Dye No Additives. Should I try wicking down one?

I want to say thank you so much for helping me out last night. I was so frustrated!

Soya

Yeah, ECO 12 is way too big for double wicking that wax and jar. You want to have a reasonable melt pool in more like 3 hours, and maybe be able to burn it for like 4-5 hours before the flames are starting to get too large and flickery. Wick it way down. I'll guess ECO 6 or 8 would work well but you have to experiment.

Rea Ann said she wicked a 4" with CBA with an LX 30 in the post below. I can say that with a 3" jar with CBA2 I can use an LX 26 or 28, so I'd bet a 30 would work also.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3792&page=2&highlight=LX26#19

This just puzzles me in light of my own observations. Some of those LXs are very big and I know they will melt the wax, but how can you use them and get anything like a good burn? You want a candle to burn nicely for hours without flicker and soot, but an LX 30 in CB-Adv 2 is going to be a torch in no time, isn't it?

I haven't tried it (30 with a 4") - have tried the 28 with a 3" though. Rea Ann said it worked fine for her so I thought I'd mention it (and give the link). Just was curious. I have tried the 30 in soy/cottonseed blend and it worked nicely (there's a post here with pics somewhere), so maybe in a 4" it may work?

I haven't tried it (30 with a 4") - have tried the 28 with a 3" though. Rea Ann said it worked fine for her so I thought I'd mention it (and give the link). Just was curious. I have tried the 30 in soy/cottonseed blend and it worked nicely (there's a post here with pics somewhere), so maybe in a 4" it may work?
The problem I run into first when trying to single wick larger containers is often running out of good wick performance rather than running out of wick size. I guess differences in FO and color additions can affect this equation a lot, but the big wicks seem to get out of trim too quickly. The flames get large, flicker, puff soot. After all, if you're wicking a 4 inch container you want it to burn nicely for at least 4 hours and preferably longer. CB-Adv is viscous but I think generally not enough to keep an LX 30 under control. I may be wrong but that was my conclusion from some recent work on wicking a 16 oz square canister.

OKay....I have been burn-testing for 4 hours....the 16oz jar with 2 eco10's....not the ECO14's. I got a FMP in 1 hour but it has been consistent with the 1/2in at 4 hours rule. So....do I put it out and wait a few hours to do my next test burn?

TY

OKay....I have been burn-testing for 4 hours....the 16oz jar with the 2 eco10's. I got a FMP in 1 hour but it has been consistent with the 1/2in at 4 hours rule. So....do I put it out and wait a few hours to do my next test burn?

TY

You should wait several hours between tests. If I have other things to work on, I'll just do one burn test a day on a candle, but you might be able to do two.

For a 4 inch container I'll schedule a 5 hour test. In the first 3 hours I'll want to see the melt pool filling out, and fully developing to 1/4-1/2" within 4 hours with a good clean burn for the whole time. Ideally I'll want to be able to burn out to 5 hours before the wicks are desperately in need of a trim or developing significant mushrooms. I think you can expect things not to be ideal by the 5 hour mark.

I'll end a test early if it's clearly failing. I don't need to be generating soot for an hour or two if I know I'll be trying new wicks the next day.

BTW I suspect your ECO 10s are too big. I'm still guessing 6 or 8.