Problems with wicking for ecosoya CB Advanced

Hi everyone! I'm having horrible problems with ecosoya CB Advanced. I use them for 3" container candles with essential oils. I used to use a CD 16 wick, which worked great, but recently it has not. So, I upped to CD 22. Now my wick starts out great, burns to the edge with a larger flame, but after about 7 hours, the flame gets much smaller, and on the 2nd light, the flame is very small. Why is this, and do you have a suggestion for a different wick? Thanks so much!!

Their wax is designed to have a large melt pool no matter what the wick size (within reason) but I have found that the wick always seems to drown or become very weak after a few hours. This is one of the reasons I am changing my soy wax very soonVery hard to wick this wax as the burn is never uniform throughout the whole container.

Circle... you said about drowning, are you meaning that the flame goes out when it reaches the melt pool. Mine does this after about 1 hr and 20mins is this normanl, I thought it was something I did wrong.

I have bought candles from the store before and never had this problem.

It's really interesting you mentioned this because I use Ecosoya Advanced, and am now experimenting with Ecosoya CB 135 and Ecosoya pure container soy and seem to have a problem only when I make EO candles. I thought it was due to too much colour or too much scent.

Also use Enchanged Lites and don't remember ever having that problem with EO blends before. Now I"m going to experiment and try the exact same ration with my EL and my Ecosoya. My flame doesn't go out but goes very low and gets weak as you describe. It never dawned on me it could be the Ecosoya. I never have this problem thought with that wax and FO blends I use and I know EO's require a higher sometimes.

It depends on the EO you are using if you can be ok with CD wicks. You should try ECO wicks for EOs. They are better for harder to wick scents.

Also 9% is a lot for EOs. And 7 hours seems a long time to burn a 3" container.

I used to use about 20% 415 with ecosoya advance, and it did really well for EO candles. It was the FOs I had trouble with in that formula.

Hi, I am new to the board and live in the UK. I am having exactly the same problems with the CB Advanced wax but using FO. Great 1st burn but terrible 2nd, 3rd onwards with tiny flame and tiny melt pool. Would desperately like to change my wax but really, in the UK we are limited to just the NGI waxes, Can anyone give advice on the CB135 soy wax, is this fairly easy to wick and how about consistent burn pool?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Jeana,

That's a great idea. Well I don't have that exact wax but I'm thinking I'll try one this week-end (along with my experiment of one that is just all Ecosoya Advanced and one that is all EL to see how they each burn with the exact same colour and scent ratio) and use a mix of EL and Ecosoya Advanced and an EO blend.

The EO blend I had a tough time with had Patchouli in it and I know that is a trickier one to wick because last time I did a Patch/Lemongrass blend and had the same problems with it having a weak flame.

Going to try and get my hands on ECO wicks at some point as I can't find them in Canada so will find a US place that ships USPS as UPS is a killer on brokerage fees etc.

alimet,

I've just starting experimenting with CB 135 and really like it but find I get some wet spots if I use wax chips for colour. I've heard this wax is best with no colour or liquid colourant but the scent throw was good and it burned well. I did try a patchouli blend with it but added a lot of colour and that could also be the reason for the weak flame. I used an LX 18 wick in a 4 oz deep tin.

Do a search on CB135 though and you will find a lot of information about it.