Sales so far this year

Vicky_CO

How are sales for everyone? Any trends you have noticed?

For me walk in seem to be picking up I have had more local sales than I have ever had before this time of the year. It seems to me people are shopping local at least here they are.

Web site sales are way down so I do not have a clue what going on there.

Store account sales are down for me. Although, this is not unsual for Jan. and Feb. even when times were better. My online sales are better (for the last several months), but only because I have worked a little harder to get it going. It is still not anywhere near what I would like it to be. I have invested in Constant Contact and it does help for online sales. It seems to me though that it takes a pretty large customer base (newsletter subscribers) to get monthly online sales consistent.

I make the most money with home parties, but it is really hard to keep up with orders when I get bombarded with parties. I do manage to get everything done in time, but it is very stressful. I only have one consultant who does the home parties but she only does it part time now. She also sells for another home business company which is her main business. So, I cannot count on her all the time. I should probably get one more person to sell for me. I do a few parties myself now and then and a craft show or two. I just got a fundraiser and may be getting one more this Spring. I will see how sales go with that. I don't really like to do too many fundraisers.

It is still pretty early to tell how well this year is going to be. It also depends on how hard I work it and if my consultant works it, but she has to put most of her energy towards the company that has more opportunities than what I can offer. I just need to manage my business better and I am trying to get it to where I am bringing in more profit consistently. It is not an easy thing to do.

P.S. My out-of-state sales picked up. I mean, not a large number but at least I am getting them. I just got an order from a Military guy stationed in Germany! His wife is from here and they are stationed over there. Her sister gave them one of my candles while they were here for Christmas and they loved it. His wife keeps saying to him how much she wanted to get more when she got back to WA (she is from Spokane). So, he ordered online for her to surprise her with some candles. My candles are going to Germany!

I strictly sell online; retail, and ship worldwide. International sales off the continent are zip this year. # of orders are down, but the dollar amt/order is up. I think people are trying to get the most out of their shipping dollars. Valentine's sales down, St. Patty's Day sales up. Go figure:confused: . Wedding/anniversary sales up. Event sales up(ex. autism dinners, breast cancer, company dinners,etc.). Very different than any other year in the 7 years I've had my current site. We shall see what the year brings...:rolleyes2

Mine are up a lot! I pretty much do only wholesale and have for the past 8 years but sales for this Jan vs last are up $3800 and for Feb they are up so far $3300 from last year.

I have noticed my average wholesale sale from last year rise significantly as well. Instead of ordering $275 on average, my average sale went to $520...not sure what to make of it but I will gladly keep it this way!

My hubby got laid off in November with no job prospects in sight for anywhere in the near future. We are depending on my income more than ever!

I think we will soon be seeing a big turn around in all our sales for the better. I see America going back to our Cottage Industry root! I will be so glad to embrace the change! I am sick of sending all my money to China!

I'm glad that some of you are having better luck than me. My sales have gone down to pretty much zero. Hubby lost job, no money, it's crazy. But things will get better soon.

I need new places to sell online - any suggestions?

Thanks and the best of luck to all.

I would skip even attempting to increase sales online :( I don't have much luck myself with those venues aside from my regular websites. Have you considered setting up in a local office building on payday in the lobby? Having home parties or even doing fundraisers?

Those are all great ways to increase revenue and really get your name out there. I do not even try anymore to gain much retail business. I just can't find the time but that is how we originally built our business up. We used to do every little show we could find. It worked wonderfully!

If you have cheerleaders and churches in your area you have got ready made sales. Approach them about a fundraiser. :) Both those groups have been negatively impacted as we have by the slowing economy but people always seem a bit more willing to open their wallet for a good cause. That good cause also helps your pocket in the end :)

My sales have been pretty steady. I thought I was in line with last yr, until I read this thread and sat down and looked at my records.

Seems my sales for Jan and feb this yr are up 34% over last yr. I have picked up 2 new Wholesale Accounts and have a fundraiser starting soon.

My outside sales are up. I pretty much do Wholesale and Fundraisers exclusivly...this yr I have had several customers call me from out of state to order cases of candles, Salt Scrubs and soaps.

The economy here in my area sucks right now becuase the leading employer, Corning Inc, has laid off over 700 people. I just hope my sales can stay up!

I know, I need to get off my lazy arse and finish my website, but I swear, my heart just isnt in it.

Thanks for the helpful ideas ladies (gentlemen). Online sales are horrible right now. Actually, I've been thinking of going to local beauty salons, spas, etc. but have been kind of afraid to do it. I don't have any pretty jars that others use for candles and I basically make pillars, votives, tealights, tarts. My self confidence is a little weak right now :( . I'm just a tad stressed out trying to make $$ to support myself and my husband. I can't wait until I look back and remember these thin times and say it was all worth it.

The fundraisers and selling to office people sound good, but then I have to make labels, flyers, etc. - which I don't know how to do. I'm am dead broke right now - $1.97 in paypal so I can't afford to buy jars, labels, etc. Ugh, listen to me complain - sorry ! All will be better soon - this too shall pass ! :yay:

Thank you for your help. I'm taking pictures of some candles that I made and going to list them on etsy. I've pulled off of ebay because their fees were killing me.

Wow, I can so relate Dreamy. After 5 years, I closed my Ebay store. I couldn't stand all the fee increases and then what I felt was the double dipping of fees of Paypal & Ebay. It just got to be too much. I closed my store and really have no regrets in doing so. It was getting to difficult for any seller to sell anything!

Overall sales have been waaaaaaay down for me. Online sales are sluggish as well. At craft shows I try to be as selective as I can as to which ones to do. I'd like them to be relatively inexpensive to do; but at least known to have good sales in the past. It seems this past year, I can't get anyone to buy anything. People are hanging on to their money and just go out to the craft fairs for something to do. Ughhh! I can't even give a free sniff away!

Hubby and I were just discussing this last night. Our sales have been up across the board this year. Our store, wholesale, internet and even fundraisers. We are really blessed and greatful that people are still able to buy from us in this tough economy. I'm hoping it continues.

This is my "free time" and I really don't expect much in the way of sales SO I was pleasantly surprised when I received my January check from the craft mall where I have a booth. It was the largest check I have ever received. Guess folks are shopping locally. Even had a few online sales. All of my online sales are from people that have bought from me at my monthly market or a show somewhere.

Received an email from a customer asking if I would be at the April market because they needed more soap. I sell more soap and lotion than candles. So things are looking good for me and my hobby turned part time business.

I am looking forward to my first market in APril along with a 3 day festival that is local.