No insurance

missymssy

Is it common to just not be able to do a candle business? I don't know how, if I can't get anyone to insure me...Other than scrap the whole idea before I invest much money. I was just wondering if that happens a lot. I had heard it was difficult, but I'm thinking now it may not be possible at all.:confused:

Melissa

Did you look into Indie Beauty Network? With organizations like that and the Handmade Soapers Guild - I don't understand why anyone would say they can't get insurance? Also do a search on here for Crafter's Guild and Benchmark.

Did you look into Indie Beauty Network? With organizations like that and the Handmade Soapers Guild - I don't understand why anyone would say they can't get insurance? Also do a search on here for Crafter's Guild and Benchmark.

Benchmark replied "no" to my e-mail inquiry. I thought you had to sell soap to be part of the other organizations, but I looked again, and with Indie it doesn't say that. I'm not a member, but it says on their website to join, "Full Indie with $1M insurance ($545/year). You mean it's that easy?? Wow, don't I feel stupid. :shocked2:

Melissa

This may be a dumb question, but what is the insurance for? (I've only been pouring & selling 3-4mos, I've been pouring a couple years)

Is it incase you burn your home down, or incase someone who buys your candles/tarts burns thier home down or something similar?

It depends on your insurance, but Liability insurance will cover damages that your candle(s) caused -- if it was faulty and burned a house down, damaged a home, burned a person, etc. You can also get extra coverage with Liability insurance for craft shows to cover if someone gets injured in your booth....trips and falls over something and/or slips, etc. There are different coverage amounts.

I could not rest at night if I did not have Liability insurance with my candle business. I even worry a bit even having it. You just never know and the fact people are so sue happy these days. Even if the candle was not faulty, just the thought of dealing with a lawsuit makes me sick. :(

P.S. Insurance to cover damages from having a candle business in your home is separate from Liability insurance. You have to ask your home insurance if they would cover damages that are caused from a home business. Not all home insurance companies will cover candle making in a home. I have heard that some candle makers have been dropped from their home insurance carriers when they inquired if they would cover it -- knowing that they had already started up the business in making candles in the home for business purposes.

Where are you located? I know that C&S insurance will insure. They may only work with the Northwest though. I can't remember.

Holly,

I'm in PA. Do you have a website for C&S? I tried googling it, but nothing came up. For some reason, anytime I search on this site, I get the results, but clicking on any of them gives a 404 error. :mad:

Melissa

Yes, if you enroll now for a really good price. Here is the link:

http://benchmarkinsurance.com/aspen/customer_center.htm#

Just go down to "get a quote" and click on the Ohio Arts and Crafts Guild Program Brochure and download the PDF application. There are different options that you can add on. I got the 1 million coverage last year, just to be on the safe side.

HTH!

Steph

My home insurance does not cover candle making. This is why I only do bath and body. I would love to sell candles, but I am in a high lawsuit state and just cannot take the risk. :( I have insurance from Soap Guild for my soaps and body products.

Holly,

I'm in PA. Do you have a website for C&S? I tried googling it, but nothing came up. For some reason, anytime I search on this site, I get the results, but clicking on any of them gives a 404 error. :mad:

Melissa

It is actually Inland Northwest Insurance but I guess C&S is the broker or something like that. They don't have a website. I don't believe they do anyway. I looked. I am pretty sure that they do not service your area.

My home insurance does not cover candle making. This is why I only do bath and body. I would love to sell candles, but I am in a high lawsuit state and just cannot take the risk. :( I have insurance from Soap Guild for my soaps and body products.

You can get a separate insurance for the Liability insurance but if you want insurance to cover your home, if damage is caused from the candle business, then you would have to either go with your home insurance (which they don't cover it) or get someone else. I believe you can also do a seperate supplemental insurance for your home for the business part, but not sure.

Well, I inquired about a permit or anything required, and I was told the area I live in is zoned for residential only! No home business of any kind! :angry2:

Thanks, though, for all the replies about insurance. Ironically, I had the app for Benchmark all set to mail in! Oh, well.

I don't know about your town. Where I live they just don't want unusual traffic in the residential areas. For example, you can't run an auto repair store from you garage; or you can't have a store in you patio room for flowers, or whatever. Maybe they didn't realize that you only plan to make your product at home but sell online or at craft shows...