Heating bath bombs

Spellkast

Ok- So I officially HATE these things!!! I am giving them ONE last time to prove themselves to me and then I'm getting the buggers wholesale! So, I read somewhere once that it helps the bathbombs harden and form together if you stick them in the oven for a few minutes...has anyone tried this? Does it really work? Because right now, I've tried everything...I try making them dry,and they fall apart if I so much as breathe on them, let alone package them...then I get mad at those and make them with more witch hazel, then they puff up..then someone on this board said leave out the witch hazel, but they were too dry so I added more oil, and then they puffed up again. I can't win...I think I may have gotten a decent bomb put together, but they're not REALLY hard...they will break apart if I poke them really hard, so I was hoping the oven would help...sorry this is so long, but someone, PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I LOSE ALL OF MY HAIR!!!! :) Thanks!:grin2:

I am with you, I have not had a good BOMB week, my Sugared Cranberry wants to crumble, my others are nice and hard that I made last week. I was ready to hit mine with the heat gun LOL I am giving them another day then I will decided if they are gonners, I have 2 shows this weekend, they may not be in the line up BLAH

My daughter found this tutorial

http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=20&CFID=740599&CFTOKEN=19423100

she wants to make them for her friends for Christmas. We were going to make them and leave out the shea or cocoa butter. But I guess maybe we'll

skip them if they are so hard to get right. You can look at it maybe there is something in there that will help.

Dee

My daughter found this tutorial

http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=20&CFID=740599&CFTOKEN=19423100

she wants to make them for her friends for Christmas. We were going to make them and leave out the shea or cocoa butter. But I guess maybe we'll

skip them if they are so hard to get right. You can look at it maybe there is something in there that will help.

Dee

thanks for the link. i am anxious to try again as i have had many failed attempts

I have had lots of troubles with bath bombs. Either I can't get them out of the mold or once I do get them out, they fall apart, wart or spread out like a pancake. I have not tried heating them in the oven, but I did put them in a cold oven and this seemed to help. It is quite dry in the oven so no humidity got to them. They dried nice and hard. I decided to just mold them in 2 ornament halves then place them together when I package them. Getting a nice round bath bomb was just too much of a struggle for me.

I also found that making bubbling bath bombs are so much easier. I have not had any fall apart yet and they dry nice and hard as long as there isn't much humidity. I love the bubbles they produce. I think I will just stick to the bubbling kind and bag the regular bombs.

Ann

You don't have to make them round, you can make them in any shape. Like take a 1/4 cup round measuring cup, stuff it full, flatten it with anything that covers the 1/4 cup and put them on wax paper. Let them dry over night and then package them. Call the bath goodies, bath tablets. The coastal scent recipe is a really good one.

Putting them in the oven prevents them from puffing up due to too much humidity in the air. This is the recipie / turtorial that works for me. http://www.ncf.ca/~aj471/BathBombs.html

The only change i made is to add my wet ingredients to my baking soda/corn starch mix then add my citric well after everything is blended. I also run the dehumidifier in my workshop several hours before making them.

thanks so much for your help guys! I think I MAY have finally gotten them down...they're still not rock hard, if you squish them, they'll crumble, but they're better than they were!!! :) So, hopefully i'm well on my way to becomnig a bath bomb master! :) Yay!!!

Michelle

I am with you, I have not had a good BOMB week, my Sugared Cranberry wants to crumble, my others are nice and hard that I made last week. I was ready to hit mine with the heat gun LOL I am giving them another day then I will decided if they are gonners, I have 2 shows this weekend, they may not be in the line up BLAH

Mine are finally hard, just took this batch a couple of days. They are a PITA even when you have a good recipe and know what you are doing.

I have a TON of respect for kristineshowers, she makes a ton of them

Elle