Frosting on dessert candles...

My question is about the frosting (NOT whipped) just plain poured over. I use 1343 with some white dye block looks good when first poured but after awhile the the white frosting will turn (brown in my case) over a bunt cake. What should I do to avoid this? Use a different wax or additives or a blend of waxes? What will stay white?

Here is an example from a site I found that looks like it stays white

Thanks Candle Man

post-219-139458385529_thumb.jpg

yeah, something I can help with!! I've been making bundt cakes for 6 years now. The absolute best wax that I used was Astro V. I discovered this quite by mistake. I had been using my regular pillar wax with extra vybar to make it white. I never had any turn brown, but some did yellow some, usually that made with a yellow vanilla fo. I ordered a slab of the astro v to try for votives--hated it for that, but discovered it not only stayed nice & white, but did not crack & come off my bundts. I am currently trying to find a replacement since my supplier now wants $63 a case for the stuff. If you have some, try it.

Pam R

I use a mix of OK6228, which is a very white, opaque pillar wax, and container wax (parasoy container wax). The container wax makes sure that the icing adheres to the candle and doesn't break off, the OK6228 keeps it white.

I only got a little bit of yellowing one time, and I was using Southern Vanilla FO for the icing. Right now I'm using cinnamon bun FO for the icing on the various sized cinnamon buns I'm making, and although the FO looks thick and slightly brown, the end result is very white.

I've no doubt there are many different waxes that'll help you get the icing white and keep it that way, so choose whoever is closest to you, supplier wise, and which you can experiment with the cheapest.

DanaE

Yummmmm that looks good! :D

It seems it's absorbing the color from underneath huh? Hmmm I think it still looks good (at least in the pic) looks like buttercream frosting. ;)

I know you want it white like a sugar glaze would be, but I just wanted to tell ya, if I saw that in a store, I would think it was just supposed to be like that, and it wouldn't deter me from buyin' it. :D

Can't help ya otherwise, but sounds like you've got lots of tips already, and that you'll be doing some experimenting soon.

I just want the white icing to stay white and look like a real cake from the bakery.

I have tried other wax / additive combos in the past but thay did not stay white either or would come off.

Maybe I'll just have to order different waxes than I already have and give them a try.