Non-Shrinking Votive Wax

Asher

Is there such a thing? I have seen some machine-made votives that looked like they could have been made of plastic. They were perfectly shaped and appeared to have no signs of shrinking...tops and bottoms were level and, well, just about "perfect".

Tea-lites tend to be this way as well. It's hard to describe the wax, since it tends to have this almost crystallized surface. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Any ideas as to the wax type?

Someone once said that the Astor V is a one pour, but it isn't for me. Made by machine would be ideal wouldn't it? Just think of the inventory you could build up lol, but correct me if I'm wrong, those cups have the luxury of sitting in a lot of wax so any shrinking during cooling would be taken care of. In a lot of cases, it looks like a shell is built and then packed with granules and scented.

I know there are palm waxes that could give you a crystalized look, but that may not be what you were looking for or describing.

It sounds like the extruded candles you're talking about. I really belive this method was designed purely for making consumers think they're getting the same amount for the money. In reality, from what I've seen those compressed granules have air packed in there. I've melted down a whole candle before and had 2" less when it rehardened. Consumers just think they're getting as much candle, it really seems to burn faster. I noticed this before I ever ventured into making them myself.

Packed granules....hmmm, I think that might be what I'm seeing in some of these store votives. Now that I think of it, those tea-lite candles almost look like they're made up of tiny styrofoam particles that are tightly packed together.

It sounds like the extruded candles you're talking about. I really belive this method was designed purely for making consumers think they're getting the same amount for the money. In reality, from what I've seen those compressed granules have air packed in there. I've melted down a whole candle before and had 2" less when it rehardened. Consumers just think they're getting as much candle, it really seems to burn faster. I noticed this before I ever ventured into making them myself.

Satin Ducky, have you ever noticed how light weight those candles feel? I was picking up some candles at the grocery store last week, just playing with them, and I swear that the 3x6 couldn't weigh more than 8 ounces. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how a candle that size could be so light, but from what you've just said, it makes a lot of sense.

To get this back to the topic at hand....I haven't found one that didn't shrink, except for 2275. I still have a case of it, and although it makes great votives I didn't think the scent throw was very good. It has a very high meltpoint and I'll probably just use it for embeds. (maybe you could experiment with some high meltpoint hurricane wax, and pour it right above it's pouring temp? so if it has a melting point of 170, pour it at 165....it might work, although I don't know what the scent throw would be like). It's not called 2275 anymore; when the company was purchased the name changed, but the wax is still available - I think at Bitter Creek North.

DanaE

Packed granules....hmmm, I think that might be what I'm seeing in some of these store votives. Now that I think of it, those tea-lite candles almost look like they're made up of tiny styrofoam particles that are tightly packed together.
It's called compression molding. Wax powder or granules squeezed trogether by a machine.

I once bought some one-pour votive wax that wasn't supposed to shrink...and of course it still did. However, it didn't shrink enough for me to do a second pour.

Compression molding, huh? I guess there wouldn't be any shrinking with such a procedure then. I'll assume this is not available to the homemade candlemaker, unless we had the money to buy the proper machinery.

So, does this mean there is no melting or pouring involved? Is it just a matter of packing stuff together?

It's IGI 4761. You can get it in granulated form at Candlesandsupplies.com I had a rough time using it for votives, but after doing more research, I may have been pouring at the wrong temp, so I'd love to give it another try after Christmas. I also found that zinc wicks just didn't work in the standard votive. The 36 was too small and the 44 wax too large. But the LX worked perfectly. Also, the tarts came out great. Much better than my tarts with 6228 which have a significant amount of shrinkage in comparison.

Wow...so many numbers and letters to learn with all of these products. Are the LX wicks free-standing? I haven't yet tried wick pins, so I have to manually set the wick in the mold after the first pour.

I was told zinc core is the best for votives, but I know I've seen votives with wicks that resembles tiny rope...and those seems to burn the best.

Do you use LX-8 or LX-10 or another size?

Thanks!

First of all, invest in wick pins, lol. They are the best things to have around and will really help. I am pretty sure I used the LX 12 in 4761 votives, but my notes are at home. I use zinc wicks in my current votive wax, 6228, and they work well. But I wouldn't say that any one wick is the one right wick for all votives regardless of the wax/FO. You just have to try it all for yourself and see what you like the best.

Lone Star Supply has wick sampler sets that contain 5 of each LX wick, from LX-8 to LX-30. I suppose I could do something like that.

Honestly, I've never really liked the zinc core wicks.

As for the wick pins, where do you get yours? I found something on candlechem.com where you get 12 votive molds and 12 centering pins for under $18. Is this decent?

I would definitely get sample packs of wicks, so you can try before buying 100 of them. I get my sample packs, votive molds and wick pins from Bittercreek North www.candlesupply.com There is a Bittercreek North and Bittercreek South. North has more stuff, but I wind up order from both places. North has great prices on wick samples and 100 packs of wicks. I'd give them a try.

I appreciate it! I will check out that site, and I'll see how their prices compare. Lone Star Supply also has CD, HTP and ECO wicks on their site as well. So many choices!

I'll have to get wick pins, too. Then I won't need free-standing wicks, and I won't have to attempt to manually center the darn things...which gets tough with dark colors. Only after the candle sets do I know if I got anywhere near the center. That is one big reason I make mostly lighter candles :P

(By the way, I couldn't resist the cheap price for 250 of the 34-40 wicks. I have to hope they burn okay 'cause I'm stuck with 'em for a while. Next time I'll sample some first :))

Compression molding, huh? I guess there wouldn't be any shrinking with such a procedure then. I'll assume this is not available to the homemade candlemaker, unless we had the money to buy the proper machinery.

So, does this mean there is no melting or pouring involved? Is it just a matter of packing stuff together?

It's simple.

post-710-139458385884_thumb.jpg