My 8 year old is addicted to making M&P Soap

mindy5140

We usually do a Craft of some sort each night, so I thought I would spice it up and let him make some soap for himself Monday night. He made Green Watermelon soap Monday, Tuesday he made Yellow Bubblegum, and Tonight he made Orange Banana Soap.

He is so bummed right now because I ran out and I can't order anymore till Friday. He wants to start his own Soap Business.

He already made a list for me of scents he wants to offer.

I think since we're out of soap, we might make some bath salts tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

That is great! How exciting! Let him start his own business.... I'm trying to see what business I can start for my 8 year old son. I thought about a candy shop, but he doesn't even eat candy. *l*.... He does help me make soap from time to time. I don't use FO's anymore... I'm sure I can find something though.... :yay:

Isn't family bonding time wonderful. I think more kids need that kind of attention now days, maybe there wouldn't be quite so many little hooligans running loose.LOL

My kiddo's are 3 & 4, not quite old enough to help, but they love to watch me mix lotions and soy whip. My DD starts thinking cake, when I mix KY's Soy Whip. I guess when you add the pink color, it does look like frosting.

Well he was really getting into it till his dads wife told him that soap making is for girls. So now he's keeping it on the DL so they don't find out.

So of course I got on Etsy and showed him very pretty soaps that a man makes to build up his self esteem again and it seems to be doing well.

He has gone through 6 lbs of M&P soap in almost 2 weeks. I can't wait till I get paid this Friday to order more. He's starting to get more and more creative and like his mom, he see's everything as a mold.

He even has testers, lol.

This is a great bonding experience just something for him and I to do together without his little brother.

Well he was really getting into it till his dads wife told him that soap making is for girls. So now he's keeping it on the DL so they don't find out.

So of course I got on Etsy and showed him very pretty soaps that a man makes to build up his self esteem again and it seems to be doing well.

He has gone through 6 lbs of M&P soap in almost 2 weeks. I can't wait till I get paid this Friday to order more. He's starting to get more and more creative and like his mom, he see's everything as a mold.

This is a great bonding experience just something for him and I to do together without his little brother.

What a bummer that that woman told him that! But good for you on keeping him motivated and teaching him that it doesn't matter if he's a girl or a boy, he can do whatever he sets his mind to!

I think it's wonderful that you are using MP soapmaking as a do together thing! :) GO Little man!

:angry2::angry2::angry2:, Man I hope you gave her piece of your mind and a busted lip so next time she will know to keep her mouth shut. Ok I am just kidding but seriously what was she thinking.

I think it is great that he is really liking it, and that you guys have found something to do together that you both like to do.

We had our niece and nephew (DH side of the family) over this past weekend and they both were very into helping me make candles and wanted to know everything about it.

My nephew (on my side of the family) love the color pink, and one of his uncles told him it was a girl color and that he needs to stop wearing it. My nephew told him "dont hate just because you cant pull it off, and plus (this part he whispered) the chicks dig it." It was so funny:laugh2:

Tell your son to keep up the good work and if he needs anyone else to help test them, he can send them to me.:cheesy2:

I think that's great. Every once in awhile my 10 and 13 yr. old will jump in and help with whetever project I'm on at the moment. It's my dream to open a shop in my basement (we've been remodeling our new house for almost 6 yrs. now but have made the basement so I can have a shop) and when we get into the new house I want to offer craft classes for kids which will include any kind of craft I can think of. I'm not doing it to make money (which wouldn't be much) I just think kids today need these kinds of outlets not only to keep crafts alive but to give them self esteem and self pride. We no longer have crafts in our Walmarts and the nearest JoAnnis about 45 mins. away. Both of my older kids know how to sew simple seams. They each have their own little singer sewing machine. My son when he was in 3rd grade made fleece blankets for everyone. He is in 7th grade this year and has a health/life type class and the teacher asked if anyone knew how to sew and he raised his hand (I couldn't believe it, thought he'd be embarassed) and the teacher really praised him and explained how much it would cost to have something hemmed....My son was actually bathing in the moment. Look at Tommy Hilfiger.

I think that's great. Every once in awhile my 10 and 13 yr. old will jump in and help with whetever project I'm on at the moment. It's my dream to open a shop in my basement (we've been remodeling our new house for almost 6 yrs. now but have made the basement so I can have a shop) and when we get into the new house I want to offer craft classes for kids which will include any kind of craft I can think of. I'm not doing it to make money (which wouldn't be much) I just think kids today need these kinds of outlets not only to keep crafts alive but to give them self esteem and self pride. We no longer have crafts in our Walmarts and the nearest JoAnnis about 45 mins. away. Both of my older kids know how to sew simple seams. They each have their own little singer sewing machine. My son when he was in 3rd grade made fleece blankets for everyone. He is in 7th grade this year and has a health/life type class and the teacher asked if anyone knew how to sew and he raised his hand (I couldn't believe it, thought he'd be embarassed) and the teacher really praised him and explained how much it would cost to have something hemmed....My son was actually bathing in the moment. Look at Tommy Hilfiger.

I don't even know how to sew well, lol. But my son does know how to sew a button on because of boy scouts. I love Joannes but like you ours is 45 min or more away same as Michaels.

I wish I could say something to her but If I do they'll take it out on my son. He's not allowed to tell me anything that goes on over there but their allowed to know everything that goes on at my house.

He is so particular about his soap, he has 4 scents in his line so far but he's not quite happy with the soaps yet, lol. They don't bubble enough (lather) for him. So we looked up some recipes and we're going to try them out next week. I have to order more soap.