Getting into M&P Soap

birdieluvr76

I've often thought that would be a good idea, cause I've never really seen one!

Sounds like you did what I did when I first started, just read everything you could get your eyeballs on! The best thing to do (in my opinion) is to just buy some good quality base and pick a fragrance and maybe an additive or two and start! I didn't start adding stuff til my second batch LOLOL. It's been a severe addiction ever since! Push push push.. It's almost as though I'm just daring my MP to not turn out well!! It's THAT forgiving, and that easy to play with! So much fun! Join us... you know you want to!! :)

Here's a link to a beginners M&P discussion:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19147&highlight=castor+oil+soap

There is a fabulous M&P recipe thread on the old boards somewhere that I can't find. It has pages and pages of all kinds of recipes for lots of different types of M&P. If I can find it I will post it. But so far I am not having much luck.

But if I or somebody else can find it we should put a sticky on it to make it permanent. It really is a great thread.

• 3 weeks later...

A question from a complete newbie interested in soapmaking :

Ok, I'm a newborn babe in the soap making category. I haven't even googled it that much yet! (LOL) Someone said that you HAD to add lye when making soap. So, my question is, do you have to add lye to M&P or is it already added to the base? I'm assuming that it's already added in if needed. Don't laugh! I TOLD you I was a newborn...or perhaps a NOT-yet-born! ? :laugh2:

A question from a complete newbie interested in soapmaking :

Ok, I'm a newborn babe in the soap making category. I haven't even googled it that much yet! (LOL) Someone said that you HAD to add lye when making soap. So, my question is, do you have to add lye to M&P or is it already added to the base? I'm assuming that it's already added in if needed. Don't laugh! I TOLD you I was a newborn...or perhaps a NOT-yet-born! ? :laugh2:

Melt and pour is already soap, so no lye needs to be added. The other soaps that other make do need lye. I'm not quite ready for that part just yet :)

Ok, off to go and laugh at you now......kidding!! :P

(LOL) Thanks Ladies. Just wanted to be sure. Ok..I'm off to learn more on melt & pour. (Like what more would I possibly need to know?

It's M E L T & P O U R right?) -grin-

I would like to learn more about all those additives I keep hearing about. Ok...off to investigate further. :)

BTW, who has the best M&P? Are there different kinds or are they all basically the same?

(LOL) Thanks Ladies. Just wanted to be sure. Ok..I'm off to learn more on melt & pour. (Like what more would I possibly need to know?

It's M E L T & P O U R right?) -grin-

I would like to learn more about all those additives I keep hearing about. Ok...off to investigate further. :)

BTW, who has the best M&P? Are there different kinds or are they all basically the same?

NOOO they are not all basically the same. We all have our personal preferences though! ;)

For me, it's the white base from Essentials By Catalina~ Hands down! In a pinch, I also use (and like it well enough) the low sweat white base from SFIC that I get from Peaks.

The base from EBC is made right there in their own facility, and it handles additives better than any I have tried so far, and I've tried a lot!

There is a thread going right now on Essentials By Catalina in this section, and they are having an awesome sale. They are based in California, but if you call your order in and ask, they will ship it to you flat rate and that's a heck of a shipping price considering the weight. The smallest amount you can get from them is 20 pounds. Check it out!

If you have questions about certain additives, or want to know what I've used to create my soaps, let me know. I'm the "great enabler"!! ;)

All melt and pour bases are NOT the same. Most of the stuff you see in craft shops for instance is not so great. Some bigger suppliers make their own bases, so they can vary lots. SFIC is a well known and very dependable base. It is made in a fairly natual way with quality ingredients. Lots of people on this board use it. It is made in Ca. but tons of soap making supply businesses all over the country sell it. I carry it on my site and before I decided which base to offer I did a ton of testing and trial. I felt that SFIC was of the highest quality. Essentials by Catalina also has a really nice base. I use their natural one for many things. You might want to try small amounts of several different bases before you decide with one you would like to claim as your own.:cheesy2: Also, there are lots of choices offered by just one company SFIC has a lot of different bases. It has for instance, goat's milk, oatmeal, aloe vera, cocoa butter, shea butter, plain white, clear -- theirs is not all that clear though-- honey base, hemp oil, shaving and a few others too.

It takes a bit of effort and dollars to get your own special thing going and the fun is in the learning. All the best to you. Please post as you go along and feel free to ask any questions.

Soapymomma

The biggest difference for me in bases is based on the ingredients. Many bases contain Sodium Laurel (or Laureth) Sulfate, SLS, which is a DETERGENT, used to boost lather. This is an industrial detergent, and is in most commercial soap, and is considered by those who prefer 'natural' ingredients to be harsh and not recommended. In my opinion, bases with this ingredient are no better or different than commercial 'soap'. If this is not a problem for you, then go for it. But for me, it makes a huge difference. I use SFIC because it does not contain any detergent ingredients, and it is the closest you can get to real soap other than from scratch CP or HP. Just check the ingredients, there are other bases out there without SLS. The choice is up to you.

1 T goats milk (skin conditioning)

1 T cocoa butter (skin conditioning)

Pinch of sugar (bubbles)

1 T liquid soap (bubbles)

1 tsp castor oil (thick lather)

1/2 T olive oil (skin conditioning; hardening)

1 T FO

How does this sound for a recipe? What worries me is that's almost 5 Tablespoons of stuff. Is that too much?

1 T goats milk (skin conditioning)

1 T cocoa butter (skin conditioning)

Pinch of sugar (bubbles)

1 T liquid soap (bubbles)

1 tsp castor oil (thick lather)

1/2 T olive oil (skin conditioning; hardening)

1 T FO

How does this sound for a recipe? What worries me is that's almost 5 Tablespoons of stuff. Is that too much?

darbla, i don't have an answer, but i think it partially depends on the base. sounds like PA puts everything but the kitchen sink in her EBC white!!! LOL