You know what REALLY infuriates me?!?

blwoods

I hate hate hate when a company has excellent communication and response time before the sale, but after the sale... NOTHING. I was looking for a web designer and emailed one with tons of questions... she was polite, professional, and very quick with all her responses. I finally decided to use her as my designer. I received one questionnaire from her asking what I was looking for exactly. I've sent her three emails since then with no response, not even an acknowledgement that she received my questionnaire.

I don't mind people who are slow from the start, because then I know ahead of time what to expect... but when you are Ms. Customer Service before you have the money....

I agree with SOW....

If you don't hear nothing by the beginning of next week then I would get concerned.

I guess I should have asked....How long since you made a payment and did you use a credit card? I only pay for webstuff/logos/etc with a credit card.

Also, are they a member here?

According to the persons site.. she was closed from the 24th-29th. I made payment a little over two weeks ago and have not heard anything since she sent me her questionnaire.

I dont "think" she is a member here... really starting to regret not going with the person I had originally discussed building a site with.

I'm not "concerned" yet... just irritated. When I am on "holiday".. I make sure to set up an autoresponder so that people aren't in the dark... really an important thing when doing business online, IMHO.

Now I'm officially irritated. Had a friend of mine fill out her inquiry form. She received a response about 30 minutes later. Still no response to my emails from almost a week ago.

Send her another email with a read reciept. I'm wondering if yours just haven't somehow slipped through the cracks. I've had it happen before where someone's email for no apparent reason just started going into my junk mail folder and because there had never been a problem previously, I didn't think to look there for them.

Maybe fill out her inquiry form again but put in there that you wanted to make sure she has gotten your previous emails since yo have not heard anything back yet. And see if that does anything.

GL and I also had this happen as well. I bought a template for my new website and they were great during and right after but when I email them about some problems I was having with the template and also about getting a label made to match my design and I got one email asking what design I had and then NOTHING. I almost contacted another person but then finally she email me and said she was so sorry that she was super busy from the holidays.

But obviously your is not busy if she can response to someone else within 30 minutes.

I did pay via paypal, unfortunately I didn't fund it with credit card, meaning that I may or may not have much protection. I'm going to wait another week before filing... heck, I don't care if its done or not, I just want some sort of communication. Particularly with design, communication is key.

She stated that she never received them... so essentially she received everything fine up until Dec. 29th, then they spirited into the thin nether air of cyberspace.

Which is all well and good, so long as she now keeps in touch I'm ok with things.... hoping the site comes out decent so that I don't have to go spend more money on another site.

We shall see

Which is all well and good, so long as she now keeps in touch I'm ok with things.... hoping the site comes out decent so that I don't have to go spend more money on another site.

We shall see

From a designer's aspect, I hope you tell her straight forward if dislike the direction she's taking your project before you jump ship and find someone else. Too many times I get people coming to me because they weren't happy with their previous designer and not much faith in the process. Sometimes the fix could have been as easy as saying "I don't like that". We're not mind readers. ;) For example, my version of hip with a bit of elegant may be very different than your own idea. Examples and seeing things you're looking for without taking direct 'lifting' from another company or designer is ideal. JMO of course.

I know life can get busy for me and I have a hard time keeping things in order (I normally put way too much on my plate at times). I would lie if I said that I haven't had a time or two when I've had email glitches or worse. I am honest though and forthright and appreciate patience. Just thought it might be nice to have a different perspective is all.

Glad to hear she got in contact with you though.

Like I said.. totally patient when it comes to the process. Even once she has her end ready.. my end probably won't be ready for another month after that... so I'm not sweating the timeline. I was worried about the lack of contact.. really hard for us to have a meeting of the minds if there is no communication.

I'm prepared for the revision process too. I'm probably a designers nightmare in that I'm one of those "I'll know it when I see it" people. My logo designer got lucky.. I loved the first one out the gate :) I guess thats why I regret not going with her for the website because we seemed to "click". But.. I really like this girls portfolio and figured I'd give her a shot.

Not related to your communication issue but is to your following your instincts comment:

When I married I looked at 3 different photographers: an expensive one, an inexpensive one, and one in the middle. I went with the one in the middle hoping I was getting a good balance of everything even though my instinct was telling me to go with the least expensive one and not completely for money reasons. The one I picked went out of business and disappeared before I had half my pictures. All I got were the proofs and one large picture, but none of the 8x10s, 5x7s and whatever else I'd ordered that I now don't even remember.

I follow my instincts now.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh....

Right up there with lack of communication is "dont make a promise you can't keep". I was told that my revisions would be done by Sunday... its Tuesday and no word. No communication. Nada. She states on her website that she is having issues with her email, but she's on yahoo....... so I'm having a bit o' trouble wrapping my head around that. I was really hoping to be able to work on this thing during my days off (I also work 50-60 hours a week.. trying to finance my business changes). But apparently that doesn't appear to be likely.

SIGH.....