HP Color Laserjet 2600n delimma

candlelady

I have been using this printer for a couple of years and just love it, however, I had to print some labels last night and the BLUE is only printing on the left 1/4 of the label sheet....no BLUE is printing anywhere else. The labels on the other 3/4 of the page are there, but missing it's normal "color".

Anybody have a clue as to what is causing this?

I've tried everything including going to HP help and it doesn't address it.

Cartridges are all new (installed 12/13/08) and are reading FULL.

Thanks!

Carrie

I have this same printer and that happened to me once after some labels were jammed in it. Check your fuser because they can go out and it could possibly be causing your problem. The cost for the fuser is about $150 dollars.

Yikes! Thanks Meredith, I'll check on it tonite.

ETA: I just checked and that sounds like the problem for sure. Found a fuser assy. kit on ebay for $75 and free shipping!

I have the model after that one and it has happened to me before as well (I believe that is what it looked like). Recalibrate it. I am pretty sure that is what I did and it went back to normal. :) If it doesn't, the symptoms may have been different.

I have the model after that one and it has happened to me before as well (I believe that is what it looked like). Recalibrate it. I am pretty sure that is what I did and it went back to normal. :) If it doesn't, the symptoms may have been different.

I tried the recalibrating and it did not work, unfortunately. I messed with it for hours last night.....

It might be good to let this thread be our "trouble with the 2600n" go-to place... just a thought. Then we can all just bookmark it and have a starting point.

Sounds good to me! I'm thinking now that since one problem has occurred, I'm in for some more (kinda like the warranty going out on the car and then the problems start! LOL).

Yikes! Thanks Meredith, I'll check on it tonite.

ETA: I just checked and that sounds like the problem for sure. Found a fuser assy. kit on ebay for $75 and free shipping!

That's a good deal. Good for you for finding it!! I hope it solves your problem. Let us know.

My printer started doing something similar. The left side was printing fainter and fainter with each sheet. I shook the toner and tried other things but to no avail. I had to break down and get a new printer. I guess 3 years was a good run for a heavily used laser printer. Good luck!

My printer started doing something similar. The left side was printing fainter and fainter with each sheet. I shook the toner and tried other things but to no avail. I had to break down and get a new printer. I guess 3 years was a good run for a heavily used laser printer. Good luck!

Yea, I shook the toner and cussed at the same time! LOL Didn't work though. I had a passing thought about just buying a new one, but I thought I'd spend the $75 for a new fuser kit and see if that worked....I'll let you all know!

Have you called HP? I called a year ago when I was having trouble and was wayyyyyyyyy out of my warranty - they were actually really helpful. Turns out the problem was on their end & couldn't be fixed so the printer had to go back. They issued a call tag and sent a replacement printer overnight via Fed ex.

Some how they got mixed up in their records & they shipped me a second replacement printer a few weeks later - so I called and told them to come get it - I didn't order it and wasn't going to pay for it. The customer service rep called back the next day and said just keep it if I wanted it... this is the second 2600 I have had trouble with.. and I guess they keep records of that. Obviously I kept it and the really great part is both printers arrived with 4 new full cartridges. (Yay me!)

I don't even use the second printer but it is oh so nice to have one for back up if I need it. Anyway... might be worth giving them a call... sometimes the problem turns out to be on their end.

Take care,

Chele

I had a similar experience as you Candlelady. Did you use HP toner replacements or another brand? I had bought some toner replacements online thru Carrotink.com and never had problems with my previous printer but the 2600 printed awful with their version of a replacement. Three were HP and 1 was not. I replaced the one that was not and I haven't had any problems since.

I purchase my replacement ink cartridges from the same person on ebay and have for years with no problems. My printer is about 4 years old.

I called HP, but they didn't have my printer info so they couldn't help me.....:mad:

I'll give the fuser kit a try, if that doesn't work, DH says get a new one....

I'm glad for this thread!

My warranty is up as well. I had a problem (what it was I can't remember) and I called HP. They told me that my warranty was up like 2 weeks before that and no way would they help me without me paying for their help. I thought that was such bad customer service. I think I've had this machine only a year or so. I'm not fully satisfied with it. I make my labels on publisher and this is the only printer I've had where the color green on the computer is very different than what prints out on the printer. I waste ink and paper trying to get the printer to print out as close as I can to the green color I'm looking for. I usually get a primary green, almost a blue green if I'm trying for a yellow or moss green. I end up doing an almost yellow on the computer before it looks passable.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, I use onlinelabels.com and buy their weatherproof labels. I find that EOs make the ink smear. I have not been able to find a paper where this doesn't happen. I can pour all the fixed oils and water on these labels as I want with no damage, it's the EOs I have the problem with.

I purchase my replacement ink cartridges from the same person on ebay and have for years with no problems. My printer is about 4 years old.

I called HP, but they didn't have my printer info so they couldn't help me.....:mad:

I'll give the fuser kit a try, if that doesn't work, DH says get a new one....

I'd say get a new one, too. The laser printers are getting smaller and cheaper. I got my first laser printer like 7/8 years ago and it was HUGE and heavy and it was sooo expensive! I think you can get a decent laser printer for around 300 bucks these days if you watch sales.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I am wondering if the fuser kit worked? I have a 2600, and the red is very faint now on the left side only.

Well, I had the fuser kit finally replaced last week, and no it didn't help my "gray" color over my labels......maybe it's the ETB?