Wickless Candles with Tart Wax?

singleyellowrose

Thank you for asking this! I have wondered the same thing. I make tarts, but some friends/family have favorite scents, so I wondered if I could use my tart wax to make them a wickless candle (a bigger tart as it were), instead of buying a new wax type. I would still mainly make tarts, so I don't want to invest in a new wax if my current wax will work and be safe in the container.

If you end up deciding you do need a softer wax, you could always buy a small quantity of a soft wax and mix it with your pillar wax. That's less of an investment than buying a bunch of a new wax. I don't have recommendations for a softer wax, though, but maybe some other crafters do. And you could always request a couple pounds in our classifieds forum.

I've done it, didn't sell it, wickless stuff like that didn't go well over time, but it works fine. I used IGI pillar wax (number eludes me atm). It was in an 8 oz. Apothecary.

The only challenge to selling it, is after mixing at your temp... waiting, waiting, waiting- to get the closest temp to before skin forms, pour it and a couple of times you can go over it with a heat gun to get it to fit closely. You might also find you need a repour. It won't adhere to the sides, but if none of it does, it doesn't look bad. ETA: Mine almost looked like a rustic-ish look.

The lower watt warmers do very well, when it resets it doesn't look bad either, because it barely heats up enough to really get the wax to get too hot to cause nasty shrinkage. When it cools there is a slight sinkhole, but I find it a good thing, because when I went to turn it back on, it actually takes less time for it to melt overall as the hotter wax seeped up a bit in the hole.

Can I ask why you use a pillar wax in tins but not in jars? Aren't they both containers? Is it a difference of the mouth opening?

Thanks! This question has been on my mind for a while :)

In tins you cannot see the wax when it has pulled away from the container. The glass tureens I use you can see the wax has pulled away from the sides of the jar.

For now, I think I am going to continue with the J223 in the tureens. It looks better after it has melted and set up again as opposed to the EcoSoyaPB in the same container.

I also seem to get a better throw from the J223. Once I get through the PB, I may consider getting rid of the soy and doing a para tart.

• 3 weeks later...

A softer wax will melt quicker than the pillar type wax. And that is the whole idea behind that type of product. You have to go with the economics of what is best with you.. and if that is only one wax, make it work. Use shallower containers so it doesn't take as much heat to make them liquid.