votive questions.....please read....

OK, I wanna try votives in the new year. Here are my questions..

Is there a ONE pour votive wax??

Are Palm votives easy to make?? even it a repour is required.

Which Palm wax is good for votives??

Which para-soy blend is good for votives...I am useing KY's para-soy blend for tarts....is it good for votives too??

Which wick type hould I test for Palm votives

Which wick type for para-soy votives..

I searched "palm Votive" and votive and didnt find too much.

TIA

tootie

Palm votives are a pita if you really want my honest opinion. I get varied results and they usually end up getting air pockets in the top which leave small holes after it's cooled and I have to refill and heat gun to get smooth and make sure they get filled. Sometimes they close up just right and I dont' have to do anything! I still haven't mastered why it does this. I normally pour at about the same temps each time...may have to reference my notes on that one. I can't say for the others, I just know how palm works (or doesn't work) for that matter.

As far as wicks I've found CS wick guide to be of great help as a starting point. :)

I use para/soy (my own blend), but I do use the same blend for tarts and votives.

What wicks do you use now? What you test will depend on what you are currently using (assuming you want as few types of wicks on hand as possible). When I used HTP it was generally from 37 to 52, but I use LX now and most are from 8 to 12. I do have an occasional odd scent that I have to use RRD....

Soy is a good one-pour votive wax. If you can get over the cracking issues. There are techniques to help with this. I cover them with a box to keep them from cooling too quickly or you can put them in a warm (but off) oven. Tempering can help - that's heating your soy wax, give it a good stir and then letting it cool completely and remelt again before pouring.

Still since I like smooth flat tops I still do one repour of my soy.

I don't know about any soy/para blends that are one pour but I have yet to find a paraffin votive wax that doesn't need a repour.

HTH,

J

I use para/soy (my own blend), but I do use the same blend for tarts and votives.

What wicks do you use now? What you test will depend on what you are currently using (assuming you want as few types of wicks on hand as possible). When I used HTP it was generally from 37 to 52, but I use LX now and most are from 8 to 12. I do have an occasional odd scent that I have to use RRD....

I use CD wicks now. I have some ECO and RRD's laying around.

tootie

Last time I made votives I used the stardust palm from CS

No re pours, they popped right out of the molds, got nice crystal designs but was working on wicking...other then fiddling with that they were good to go.

I believe the wicks I was trying were the CSN that CS sells and the LX series.

I use several kinds of wax for votives, depending on whether I am molding them or making them directly in votive containers. For the container ones, I use NatureWax C3 or Glass Glow. For molded ones, I use either Ecosoya PB or pillar palm wax (any kind). I find the palm wax votives are the easiest, even though they do require relief holes. For perfectly flat tops, one will have to repour. Me? I like the slight dimple, so I don't worry about second pours. With palm wax, the tops are more level because I heatgun them after making the relief holes.

I use wick pins with molded votives and glued wick assemblies for container votives (size depends... usually a CD5-7).

While one can make a lot of votives at once, I find they do not sell as well as my medium-sized candles, damage more easily, and they are just as labor intensive. While they take little wax, the profit margin on them is not as great as some of my other candles. MANY people do not realize that votives are not meant to burn like a mini-pillar - they should be in snugly fitting containers - so I generally sell them with the proper container. I make "refills" for common containers, like flowerpots and the straight-sided standard votive glasses.

Nowadays, I make 'em mostly for myself or to give away as gifts. HTH :)