I need a Waxless Lip Balm recipe?

Toast

You probably need more solids than liquids, which isn't what your recipe seems to have and the harder the butters the better.

Cocoa Butter and Kokum come to mind, but maybe something is even harder. Is there a reason to go without the wax, because that really helps to add some stability to the structure. There are other kinds of waxes other than beeswax (carnuba, candilla (??), Jojoba wax, castor wax etc.) For instance, in the summer or hot months, it helps a balm keep its shape (that I've noticed.)

I really think you're probably going to want to lower that coconut oil too and you may need to go find some hard butters. Just my .02.

Yeah, you've piqued my curiosity - why no wax?

And scented, you mentioned castor wax. I've been looking for some with no luck - so sorry I'm going off topic a sec, but curious if you know where to find some? :)

I am not Scented but here's a couple places I found

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/4040340/3856226.htm

http://naturalpigments.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=510-15CWX50&src=LeftColumnNewArrivals

I am wanting to make it specifically with out wax. Its just really hard to find lip balms with out wax, so I decided to try on my own (now I see why it's so hard to find). Yea, Im thinking I just need to up my butters. What are the good really hard butters? and do you think it will be creamy enough?

Hmmm, I think the only way you could accomplish that would be if you were putting it in pots and even then, I can't imagine it not completely melting in the heat. If I were to attempt something like this, I suppose I would start with a high content (like 75-85%) of PKO and cocoa butter with the remainder being only hydrogenated oils.

I would have to agree with coco. I made some with your stantard percentage rates using soy wax. Soy wax is really soft for lip balm, so I omitted all room temp oils and used close to 60% cocoa butter, with combo of other hard oils. It came out too hard. Using a high percentage of hard oils and playing around with room temp percentages should get you- well, somewhere!

And on another note, cocoa butter can be drying on the lips in higher percentages- just my experience.

good luck!

I am wanting to make it specifically with out wax. Its just really hard to find lip balms with out wax, so I decided to try on my own (now I see why it's so hard to find). Yea, Im thinking I just need to up my butters. What are the good really hard butters? and do you think it will be creamy enough?

Use some Stearic Acid.

• 2 weeks later...

According to an article I read recently, wax based lip balms do little in helping your lips. It would be interesting to see if the stearic would help harden it up. I used soy wax in mine, but soy is so soft, you have to use more of it to keep it from melting. Being a lip balm junkie, this would be an interesting experiment.