Funky smell w/ Peak's Coconut Milk

dabbledoya

I soaped a coconut/crisco/tallow recipe a few days ago and I'm getting kind of a rubber tire smell here. FO is at .7 oz ppo. Also added a couple oz of coconut milk at trace (actually I skimmed the fat off the top of the can). The soap is fine, I'm using a soap ball at the kitchen sink (and the lather is nice, creamy, and awesome lol). You can smell the coconut, but there's a rubbery smell to it, too. Anyone that's soaped this, did it morph on you? I can't find anything at the soap scent review. TIA

I used Peak's Coconut Milk in a batch of CP soap and the results were NOT good so I gave the rest of the bottle to my sister. She uses it in her CP soap and really likes it. I am convinced there is not a good coconut f/o to put into CP soap.

All of other scents I have used from Peak's have been top notch and long lasting in soap but I was disappointed in this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been researching and buying various coconut FOs for 2 years now, and I have yet to come across one that either worked for me and didn't have a fake, plastic, burnt, or rancid smell and/or someone else didn't say it was the same way for them. Even some that others had good luck with, I could still detect an awful background scent in it, no matter if used in lye soap, m&p, body spray, or just lotion bases that it doesn't have to go thru some kind of heat or process. Coconut soaps I've bought already made from reputable companies are the same way; I could detect something obnoxious and/or they were too light. The only company I know who seems to have gotten it right is Bath & Body Works, and knowing there is someone who acheived it is probably what has kept me trying!

Coconut scented stuff is my hands down favorite scent, and I will keep looking for a good one, but it seems to be a difficult one to get right.

Good luck to you, and if I come across a good one I will be crowing it from the rooftops so you will know. :D

Darbla

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the scent~~after going on 3 1/2 weeks the rubber note has mellowed, but my nose can still detect it. I'm giving it another 3 weeks or so cure to see if it goes away completely (fingers crossed).

Next on the list is SC Coconut that I bought from the classies a couple months ago lol!