Disc soaps made in tubes

xixo

If you have a liner in the mold, it should just push right out. Uplands sells them with liners. They are good molds to buy and use.

I see that you are new here. If you go back through the archives and all old threads, you will find a ton information and can learn a lot. You'll even find information on stuff you did not even think about. Good luck and have fun.

My very first molds were 12" cut PVC pipes. I found 24" pipes and end caps (called test caps) at Lowes. My neighbor who has a wood shop halved them for me. Altogether the molds cost me $3 a piece.

I tape up the end cap with masking tape to keep it from coming loose as I tap down the soap to get out the air bubbles.

Once the soap hardens to release the soap (I have to thank Zajanaturals for this tip) I put in the freezer for 1 hour. I then let it stand for about 20 minutes. It'll cause a thin layer of condensation on the soap. I take off the end cap and push the soap through. Sometimes I need my hubby to help with one person holding the mold and the other pushing but the more I use the PVC pipe the easier it releases.

HTH,

J

Do you mind my asking where you find the end caps? I managed to find the pipe, but I put saran wrap/butcher paper on the bottom and rubber banded it.. worked okay until I forgot to support it while I tried to get the bubbles out... uhm, yeah. haha The end caps sound awesome.

Thanks also for the tip on how to get the soap out. I ended up pitching the batch I made cause I couldn't figure out how to get it out! :( I'll have to give this a whirl again cause I really love the look of the round soap.

I've seen end caps (their called test caps) in the PVC pipe plumbing section of both Lowes and Home Depot. I found the Lowes ones fit better for me - at least in the three inch.

I have to admit I had to do some searching through all the rows of boxes of PVC accessories to find the test caps.

The yellow one pictured is what they look like at Home Depot. The ones I found at Lowes are a grayish white.

post-670-139458452315_thumb.jpg

We should try the freezer trick ourselves.

We tried to make a platform contraption to lock a 24 inch long PVC pipe onto, with an air valve and small hole leading up to the bottom. The plan was to just push it out with a tire pump. (Sounded good at the time.) We ended up pushing the soap out (with much difficulty) using a soup can and broom stick that just fit into the 3 inch tube. We had sprayed the tube with cooking oil, otherwise we may have never gotten it out. I think we need a better gasket system because it seemed to be leaking air. We have not had a chance to try it again.

We also learned that 24 inches it probably too tall. When pouring the soap in, we poured three different colors alternating through them a couple of times. We did not get color layers or patterns, just a blaaa color all mixed together.

It was fun, but the soap will not leave our bathroom. :rolleyes2 Live and learn.

• 2 weeks later...
My very first molds were 12" cut PVC pipes. I found 24" pipes and end caps (called test caps) at Lowes. My neighbor who has a wood shop halved them for me. Altogether the molds cost me $3 a piece.

I tape up the end cap with masking tape to keep it from coming loose as I tap down the soap to get out the air bubbles.

Once the soap hardens to release the soap (I have to thank Zajanaturals for this tip) I put in the freezer for 1 hour. I then let it stand for about 20 minutes. It'll cause a thin layer of condensation on the soap. I take off the end cap and push the soap through. Sometimes I need my hubby to help with one person holding the mold and the other pushing but the more I use the PVC pipe the easier it releases.

HTH,

J

I have done the exact same thing, have never had a problem umolding them. I also use PVC for candle molds.

Lowe's and Home Depot are great Craft stores.:yay::yay:

Mary Lou