Candle shopping list

I'm trying to figure out if this is everything I need to get started. Please let me know if I'm missing anything. I want to make gel candles, embeds, and I might try a pillar candle with my embed wax, if I can. Can I do that?

Candy thermometer

Melting pot

Penreco MP Candle Gel

IGI 1260 Embed Wax

Embed & pillar molds

20mm High Collar Wick Tabs

PRIMED 51-32-18 Zinc Core Wicking

Dye blocks

Fragrance Oils

I'm not sure if the wicking & tabs I have are correct. These wicks will be for gel/pillar candles that are about 3" in diameter.

Oops, forgot warning labels.

Hmm... is there a reason for the wooden spoons? Are they better for paraffin wax?

I read that you should use metal spoons for gel, so I assumed metal would work for all waxes..

It's not super important what the spoon is made of (for paraffin). Use whatever you like.

I would substitute a sample pack of wicks in all different sizes. Many suppliers offer sample packs. Ordering just one size is a major shot in the dark and you would probably be ordering wicks again almost immediately.

The IGI 1260 is perfect for your embeds but has too high a melting point for pillars. A good way get started with pillars and not have to deal with too many complications at once is to pick up whichever pre-blended pillar wax your supplier offers. It could be IGI or Astorlite or the house blend, doesn't matter.

You might want to get a wick pin to go with the mold and some sealer.

Good luck and have fun.

Your guess is reasonable, but I think probably not. I haven't tried to burn a pillar that was made of any wax with an MP much over 145 and over 150 sounds kinda dubious to me. It can be tricky to mold it too because it starts to congeal and shrink at a pretty high temp.

It really looks to me like 2 different waxes would be necessary. If you think you can swing that, I'm suggesting the pre-blended pillar wax because otherwise you'll need to get some additive as well. Candles are seldom made from plain paraffin, particularly scented ones.

I was thinking maybe the IGI 4614A Votive/Pillar Blend Wax might work. It has a MP of 152. It's also supposed to be low shrink. It says: Low Shrink! Make votives with one pour!

It doesn't necessarily have to be a "pillar" wax... I just want a multi-purpose wax that I can use for embeds, and something else. If pillars fail, then maybe I can make votives out of this wax? I'm just looking for some experience here mostly, as I'm just starting out.

That IGI wax isn't on my radar. I think it became theirs through the BP/Dussek acquisition, but it's not on their current product list so I don't know if it's still made. Suppliers can have stock for a while after a product is discontinued.

I'm all for experimentation so I'm not going to discourage you from giving it a try, but it's not going to be my official recommendation either :). Taking into account that you're starting out, I prefer steering you towards a good experience rather than potential headeaches.

There are products that make good general-purpose waxes, but gel embeds and pillar candles are different enough applications that using the same wax starts to become a bit of a stretch.