How to make Lipbalm

Guest Ox_B_love

Here is the recipe that I use:

20% beeswax

25% oil that is solid at room temp (i.e., coconut oil)

15% oil that is brittle at room temp (i.e., cocoa butter)

40% oil that is liquid at room temp (i.e. olive, sweet almond)

a smidge of Vit E if desired

Flavor oil at the appropriate manufacturer's recommendation

Easy as pie and wonderful.

Merry Christmas to All!

Why would you want to replace the solid oil? The conversion is simple. Decide how much lip balm you want to make by weight in grams or ounces or whatever weight you want to use and multiply the total amount by the percentage of each ingredient. A calculator and a scale are essential. For example:

80 total grams of lip balm:

20% beeswax = 80 x .2 = 16 grams

25% solid oil = 80 x .25 = 20 grams

15% brittle oil = 80 x .15 = 12 grams

40% liquid oil = 80 x .4 = 32 grams

For a total of 80 grams

What can you use in place of the 25% oil that is solid at room temp (i.e., coconut oil)??

Can you tell me this in measurments? I still dont have the conversion down yet.

in place of? choose any from among those that are solid at room temp, but not ROCK HARD. coconut oil is just an example.

25% means that however you want to make, one quarter (25%) of that amount should be this mystery hard oil.

If you don't understand %, think of it in terms of dollars. 1% = 1 penny.

I dont have any coconut oil.

I was just trying to find another type of oil that I had on hand - that I didnt need to order at this time. I think the only oils I have are grapeseed (not a solid), sweet almond (not a solid) can you give some examples of what solid oils are? and what brittle oils are? sorry.. I am new to all this. Thanks!

What can you use in place of the 25% oil that is solid at room temp (i.e., coconut oil)??

Oils that solidify at room temperature include: Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Aloe Vera Butter, Palm Oil, Mango Butter, Hemp seed Butter, etc.

If you leave your oils on the counter top overnight and can still pour them in the morning, they're either not solid oils or it's summertime. If you don't have any solid oils, you'll need to find some, liquids just won't do the trick.

Playing with lip balm recipes is my new favorite past-time. They're easy to make, fun to flavor and I have a whole bunch of eager testers who appreciate petroleum-free balms, no matter how "off" my experiments end up!