Rustics and mottles from this weekend

kate

But just to clarify- this has to be done with molted wax right?

Mottling is caused by the amt of oil in wax, typically "too much", which is why stearic is often used to help bind the oil to the wax, but stearic is also an additive commonly used in rustics. 1343 pillar wax is frequently used for both types of candles - rustic & mottles. The difference is that mottles are poured hotter than rustics. Conversely, rustics are poured at a cooler temp than mottles. Mottles are also cooled slowly, while rustics can cool at room temp.

Ok, here's my "secret" recipe for those of you who have been asking.

I use Candlewic's 4045H wax - I can do both rustics and mottles with it.

For the rustics, I add 2 T of stearic per lb of wax; 1/2 t UV inhibitor per lb; and 1 oz. FO per lb. I pour around 145-149 in chilled molds for the first pour. I find that the rustics always look nicer if they are tilted, even if I'm not layering with different colors or scents, the pattern from the tilting just makes for a nicer look. For each successive pour, I don't chill the molds at all, just pour the wax cool.

For the mottles, I use 2 T of stearic per lb of wax; 1/2 t UV inhibitor per lb; and 1 oz. FO per lb. I heat my molds with the heat gun before pouring and pour anywhere from 177-191 (There's no ryhme or reason to the temp, just whatever the wax has heated/cooled to since transferring it from my presto to my roaster.)

Now I just really hope that the atendees of my craft show Saturday like my pillars as much as you all do! Thank you everyone for your kind comments, it really does mean alot!!! :D

Boy Kate i do exactley the same thing you do and my rustics still stink. Im not giving up though cause i love this look and im determined to get it right. Your candles are so beautiful but i to favor the browns. Someday i hope to get it,lol. Lin