Votive Wicks

Ok, so maybe I have a knack for using the wrong ones. I've tested close to 10 different wicks for votives. I don't know if I'm just to picky or if I am picking the wrong ones. Do you all typically have 1 wick for paraffin votives and 1 wick for soy. Do your wicks vary drastically within your votives? What do you normally use?

Thanks in advance, Chris

36z on most scents. Heavier ones I use 44zs. Always wanted to try out the LX10s and LX12s. But won't be doing those till things slow down a little.

testing a lx10 right now....had a local candlemaker/shopowner tell me not to use zinc cored wicks since people may assume that they are lead....is that a concern of your buyers at all? I guess not since that's what you use...lol....thanks!

testing a lx10 right now....had a local candlemaker/shopowner tell me not to use zinc cored wicks since people may assume that they are lead....is that a concern of your buyers at all? I guess not since that's what you use...lol....thanks!

Not a concern here. Even if they ask, pretty much lead core wicks were banned, done away with whatever back in the 70s I believe. I tell people that if they have such a question, but hardly anyone asks.

Just to offer a different point of view...it has been my experience that wicking soy votives is a lot different from wicking paraffin votives. I make four different sizes of votives in both paraffin and soy. The paraffin votives were rather easy to determine correct wick type and size. The soy, however, is a totally different animal requiring a much hotter burning wick. Also, to get the various sizes of soy votives to burn correctly I have to use a different size wick for each.

Kimberly

I made the switch to lx & cd wicks about 4 years ago when the media started the hype about the metal wicks. I only make paraffin votives & use a lx10 in almost all of them, however, I have one customer that says they need a lx 12 because the lx10s were drowning out. Funny thing is, I can get the 10s to burn completely without drowning out--but to apease her I make hers with a larger wick--go figure.

Pam R

I use LX12 for all of my votives- but I use a LOT of color and FO :) I tested the LX10's like 100 times because I really wanted to use a small wick that would make the candle last longer, but it kept leaving wax on the side of the holder- so I finally gave in and tried the LX12's and they burn wonderfully for every scent I carry! :)

I use peak pre-blend pillar MP 145 or IGI-4625 for making my Votives and tarts and I use the 44-24-18 zincs,,,,They burn very well,,,I have started to test the LX but not because of anyone asking if there is lead in the wick but because I have heard good things on the LXs...I have never had a person question me on my wicks HTH:grin2: