Pillar Question

Ok for a month now I have been trying to make a pillar candle that doesn't split on the sides with wax going everywhere when burnt.

I'm not giving up but the money is funny right now and I have to deal with what I got.

I'm using Joy Wax its part soy and part pariffin, I have used these wicks to try it out, CD-10, Yaley 9" Prewaxed Medium Bleach Wick and my last resort was what I had on hand hemp wicks.

I'm using the basic pillar and square pillar molds from Joann Fabrics.

Sorry I don't own a camera or I would put a picture of the mess up on here.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Mindy :)

Joy wax is a container wax. You need a pillar wax with a higher melt point to make a pillar candle. I am even suprised that you were able to get the wax out of the mold without having to melt it out. My joy wax clings to the jars for dear life. You should check out some different pillar blend waxes.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Product.aspx?Tab=2&CatalogID=3&GroupID=319&CatalogTitle=0&CategoryID=436&CategoryName=IGI%e2%84%a2

Being determined is a good thing. However, somethings are just not meant to be. Like making a pillar from container wax. It's kinda like having a chocolate cake mix and trying to make a vanilla cake with it. The melt point of container wax is much lower than pillar wax. It's designed to liquify, which is why you keep having blowouts. Sorry, no good news :(

My Bf cousin used to make and sell candles, I asked her about joy wax and pillars and she said she used to make hers out of it and they came out perfect. Maybe thats why she doesn't sell candles anymore. I have even tried soy wax one to make pillars and they still split down the sides.

See I knew I should of asked her first, she acts like she knows everything, ha now I can tell her that she was wrong.

Thanks

Mindy :)

if you're shopping at Joann's try the Yaley's premium wax - comes in 11 lbs slabs, 4 lbs & 1 lb blocks. It has a melt point of 148*. For this wax I usually use the Yaley's extra-large wire wick for 3" candles(in the little packages) - And watch your local paper for JoAnn's 40 & 50% coupons - it's the only way to buy these products locally without choking. Michael's carries the same stuff at the same prices.

BTW: you didn't mention the size of the molds you are using. It would help.

I'm really shocked that the candle came out of the mold! I LOVE Joy Wax and it has such a great scent throw, but I've never considered putting it in a pillar. Now I'm going to try it today just to see what happens.

The melt point is so low and the wax so soft that there's no way to avoid a blowout somewhere along the way. I've even had it happen with lower meltpoint votive waxes. No matter what wick I used they'd still overflow or bust out the sides.

Keep your Joy wax and make tarts or some containers with it. Buy some good pillar wax. You could also mix some Joy into your pillar wax if you want to stretch it out to last longer. When I mix container wax into my pillars I use about 10 oz of container/soy wax, 3 -1/2 lbs of pillar wax and then add in my FO and UV. At least then your wax won't go to waste.

After I make the Joy pillar I'll take a picture. I'll try to remember to take pictures while it's burning to see what happens.

DanaE