She did WHAT??

botanica

Then how did she "steal" your spot if it's first come, first served? Not trying to sound mean, but if that's the rules, she played by them and beat you there.

Very true. It was a very small group of vendors...about 8. Everyone had their same spots everyday. Believe me, we got there mighty early the next day, not that I owe anyone an explanation. And you're right, there is no need to sound mean. This is supposed to be a light-hearted discussion.

I can understand the "first come, first serve" part, BUT, if you have been setting up each day in the same spot, and this is done by each vendor not by the vendor's choice, there should be an expectation or common courtesy shown of having, for a lack of a better expression, claimed your spot. I think I would have been a bit miffed too.

Very true. It was a very small group of vendors...about 8. Everyone had their same spots everyday. Believe me, we got there mighty early the next day, not that I owe anyone an explanation. And you're right, there is no need to sound mean. This is supposed to be a light-hearted discussion.

Ah, I see your point some. I was thinking it was a mite larger than this size, where space is everything sales related. You can bet, on first come first serve of a 15 space+ area, I'd be there at the booty crack to set up next to the entrance. :D To me, money is money, and playing by the rules if I'm the early worm... but if it's a spot where everyone can be seen standing in one place, then it's sorta silly.

I mean, at a fair or something, if you got there late a day and got stuck behind the tilt-a-whirl in back, and the next day or two you got there early, I'd bet most people, I'd say all, but there are anomolies, but most would grab that front booth there at the entrance, next to the ticket vendor. KWIM?

One year at a craft show, I had a neighboring crafter who brought her four children along! The kids were all under 7 and the woman wasn't a very good mother because she was there to socialize but was forced to bring her kids!

I'm not a kids type person so I was rather ticked. When her kids broke two candles, I had to FORCE her to pay for them!:mad:

Then, on the second day, she left her booth to go socialize and asked me to watch her kids while she was gone! Now, I have a very busy booth with lots of glass and I refused!

I told her: "If I'd wanted children, I'd have had them. As I didn't want any kids, I didn't have them!" I also didn't want hers even for an hour! She was pissed but so was I! How dare she ask me to watch her kids. She didn't sell a thing at the show while I kicked butt and cleaned house! She had nice things but the screaming, fighting kids caused shoppers to steer clear of her booth!

She never returned and I'm glad!

Fire

One year at a craft show, I had a neighboring crafter who brought her four children along!...

Fire

That's why I don't do craft shows - cause I'd have to bring my kids along. They are very well behaved (in public anyway) but still it wouldn't be fair to them or to other vendors, and I wouldn't be able to keep my attention on selling.

I have brought my son to shows for years it is his choice if he wants to come or not. Usually my neighboring vendors want to rent him. He is a natural salesman and he started early his first show he was 5 he is now 11. But if I had more that one small child I would not bring them. One child usually does well more that that and you end up with problems.

He is a help to other vendors he will make pop/food runs for everyone. Watchs thier booth if they need to leave for a minute. Those that are having a bad show (he seems to know which ones are how I do not know) he brings them things like flowers or sit down and makes them cards.

The kid always leave the shows with a stackful of goodies. Vedors gift him with things for his help.

I don't think having your kids at a show is a problem unless your kinds are unruly and allowed to run around and get underfoot which I have seen plenty of times. Kids can also help you add the totals of a sale up (good math lesson), count back change (another good math lesson), bag a customer's purchase, restock the booth, etc. My kids always helped us at our shows and there were times, I was so thankful for that help. But, I wouldn't ever have let my kids act up at a show. And they knew better to even think about it.

Last weekend I was next to a Church Fundraiser setup. The women's group had made fabric ornaments. Each space had a 6 ft table along the aisle and 2 chairs for the vendor. Seemed like every time one of the club members came by they felt they could be/should be behind the table.

Day 1 - At one time there were 8 of them there ~ some standing behind my table ~ and had to ask them to move so I could get to a customer interested in a product at their end of my table. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it and said nothing.

Day 2 - The church lady in charge made the decision that only 3 people would be behind the table at any one time! Seems it was her first time at the fair and she learned a lesson. Thanked me for my patience and understanding ~ and gave me an ornament. I'd like to set up next to them next fair.