a few hurricane questions...

latch

what does everybody use or reccomend to burn in their hurricanes votives or tealights? which ones do better.

Is there anything that can be sprayed on the outside of the shell to keep its shine? has anyone ever heard of using pantyhose to shine your pillars?

(a little partylite tip) does anyone put their hurricanes in the freezer to get them out of the mold? I get impatient and speed cooling process by doing this, does this effect the final result?

tia

Yes you can use pantyhose....100% cotton t-shirts work very well. You can put on a coat of candle sheen or future floor wax....for real shinny there is a dip I use that costs a lot but makes them look like glass. I over dip mine in 200 degree wax then plunge them into a bucket of cool water...instant shinny....and please do not ....I say do not.... put them in the freezer. I water bath mine in cool water......when they are almost cool then the refrigerator for only about 15 minutes ....unless you like the look of cracked candles. I am sorry to inform you, but candle making is a tedious process....you just can't rush somethings....actually most things... LOL....You can use tea lights or votives....depending on the size of the candle and the type of wax you are using. I personally use plastic tea lights...they burn cooler than glass or tin and allow light to "glow" thorugh. Tin doesn't do that. Be patient and you will have nice candles. Donita

Thanks Donita for the info.. I have been a member of this board for 2 years now and have spent much money in testing and TIME on this board.. i know how tedious candlemaking is believe me.. I still get impatient!!

I tried hurricanes already but my local supplier dosent carry a hurr. wax. I just decided to order 1260 and pay the outrageous shpipping for it. My local supplier said if i find one they may consider carrying it.... that would be awesome. I will try to post a pic of the two i just did with 1260... cant get my cam. to work rite now.

I reccomend and include tealights with mine, but test with votives to make sure they'll hold up when others don't read instructions ;)

I use panty hose often for shining. Knee-highs from wal-mart. Come in plastic bubbles like the large gumball machines use for toys. 33 cents a pair. I don't wear them so have no old ones with runs to use...lol.

I sprayed clear glaze on the outside of mine. From the spray paint dept. 6 months, no yellowing or peeling so far...

The freezer never helped mine, just time :)

My hurricane mold is 6" so I burn votives in it. I know if they hold up to votives, they will hold up to tealights and I tell people they can use either.

I do buff the seam and any minor scratches with pantyhose, but I think the 1260 makes a wonderfully shiny hurricane all by itself.

Waterbath and time....I usually let them set in the mold for 8-12 hours and they slip right out.