Does soy wax go bad?

I had some soy that was giving me the worse time ever. I have had issues in the past but this time frost was 100 times worse and hardly ever got smooth tops. I bought this slab on the 5th of September so it wasn't that old. But it sat outside (it was divided into ziploc bags) for about a month or so because my house caught fire and I had other things to take care of. But it was not in the rain or anything. Just bought a new slab today and it has been good to me. Really good to me. Which is nice.

So..... does it go bad if it isn't used right away? Is there way to prevent it if so?

I hope it doesn't, I have had my box of soy flakes for a couple of years. I keep it stored in my dry cool basement, so maybe that helps. So far I have had no problems. . . Would be interesting to find out what the manufacturer says. I would send them an email or call them. I may do that for my soy supplier and see what they have to say.

Someone had told me once that after a while, the wax gets old and will not perform as well. They said that deterioration starts after about a year maybe a year and a half. I had some wax going on three years and got to my last case. This case did go bad on me. Not like what you would think though. The cold throw was still awesome and so was the hot. The frosting was no more than usual, but it would not burn after the first burn.

I would light the candle and get a great melt pool and the burning was fantastic. But after that, the wicks would never stay lit again and it was basically a useless candle.

I ordered new wax and have not had that problem since. But I did not throw my old wax away. Since everything worked great with it but the burn, I now use them for melts.

HTH :grin2:

Michelle

Veggie waxes have a shorter shelf life than does paraffin. Since soy wax is super hydrogenated soybean oil (like Crisco), yes, it can go bad. Did it smell funny or look a little semi-transluscent (like Crisco that's been on the shelf too long)? It should be stored airtight at reasonable room temp. Having it outside where temps and humidity could have been high might have shortened the shelf life considerably. The manufacturer of your wax should be able to tell you the shelf life and recommended storage conditions. Certain soy-based waxes (NatureWax C3 for one) have preservatives to prolong shelf life.