Anyone use a private dealer for oils?

leenabug

I met a local man, from some country I never heard of, at a craft show. He deals in oils, which he sells for various reasons. (At the craft show he was selling some kind of perfume oil) Anyway I got to talking to his wife(who is American) and found out that he gets his oils from all over the world, because of his family. He wanted to know if I used pure oils that were not skin safe or skin safe for my candles. I told him that I have used both , but am more interested in the pure oils. Of course the pure cost more but is more concentrated. $20 per pound. I am trying three of his oils this week to see if any difference. I was just wondering if anyone has every dealt with a private dealer like that ? I have always gotten my oils from a supplier, such as Bittercreek, Bluegrass, Alabaster, etc. What are the pros and cons of trying out his oils? He has a fairly large list to choose from. I'll let you know if I wasted my money or not!:embarasse I hope it goes well, they seem like nice people..........

I have not dealt with anyone like that and I might not believe the man that when he says he gets his oils from all over the world. Does this man have a warehouse or a website? If you're a big-time importer of oils, you don't sell them at craftshows. It's entirely possible that he could be getting them from overseas, but for him to sell them to you for $20 a pound, considering what freight would cost, sounds impractical.

You can get 100% uncut fragrance oils from practically any manufacturer for $20 a pound. Do you know you have a fragrance manufacturer right there in Georgia?

They are selling perfume oils. And they are usually imported to USA. Some are manufactured right here, but some import from their homeland. Some perfume oils suppliers say their oils are candle safe. However, they are usually more expensive than buying FO from Peaks, Candle Cocoon, etc.

Let us know how your tests went.

Since they are 'perfume oils', they are more than likely cut with something and I personally wouldn't use them in my candles. I definately would ask him for the MSDS sheets on the oils, he has to have them from the manufacturers. If he doesn't have them, I wouldn't buy them!! :cool2:

Since they are 'perfume oils', they are more than likely cut with something and I personally wouldn't use them in my candles. I definately would ask him for the MSDS sheets on the oils, he has to have them from the manufacturers. If he doesn't have them, I wouldn't buy them!! :cool2:

Can you get a MSDS sheet for the oils we buy from the suppliers? What would you look for if you did get one? Just curious...

Would love to know what oil the fragrant company's use to mix the scent in.

http://www.candlesupply.com/MSDS/MSDSfobitterb.html

Here's a random one from Bitter Creek. Don't count on the oils to be listed though, cause almost all are proprietary/trade secrets!! It has a lot of useful information like toxic components, flash points, etc. If the supplier doesn't list the MSDS sheets on their sites, you should be able to request them.

Sock Monkey, Where is there a fragrance manu. in Ga.? By the way,I guess you could say this man is in the scent business. He mixes his own oils. They sell to other candle makers here in this area. When you tell him what you want the oils for (lotion, perfume, soap , candle, etc) then he mixes it accordingly. It is more like $15 a lb to get it skin safe for lotions and perfumes. Well, i'll tell you how it goes...........

http://www.candlesupply.com/MSDS/MSDSfobitterb.html

Here's a random one from Bitter Creek. Don't count on the oils to be listed though, cause almost all are proprietary/trade secrets!! It has a lot of useful information like toxic components, flash points, etc. If the supplier doesn't list the MSDS sheets on their sites, you should be able to request them.

ok, but how does this help the OP determine the composition and the quality of the oils then?

MSDS won't tell you that. A GC analysis might, if you know how to interpret it, have a control to compare it to, and believe it's the true analysis report anyway.

Thanks for the info! So far the oils have really good cold throw, Haven't tried to wick them yet. They do smell different though. The only way I know how to explain it is: The other oils I use have a "clear" scent, almost bitter, but not a bad bitter. These oils have an "earthy" mixed smell. Kinda of like its several smells that just make one new smell. Okay that sounds weird. Like the normal oils I use have a "bite" to them and this is "smooth" scentsation. On voting, some testers have said they loved it, some said they disliked the "bitter " being gone. (Same scent, one from TN , one from this man) I'm not deciding until I burn them.