Considering the Thought in Selling my Business

Hi All,

I have been struggling with this for the past 6 months in selling my business. I feel that I have totally lost the passion I once had with my business. I have been making candles since I was 17 years old and I will be turning 30 in April...I feel that I'm ready to move on to other things but I'm struggling with letting go.

My parents feel I should continue with the business since I have had some success with it but it also has come with a hefty price. This year was the first time that I really took a leap in purchasing some big ticket items such as a 100 lb wax melter, LX810 printer, HP laser printer, professional pictures, etc. for the business and now it's a struggle just to fulfill orders. I have had limited help in growing the business because my family lives in another state not to mention they are more focused on their own careers.

Has anyone felt like this before and what have you done to overcome it? I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

Jameel

Have you thought of taking a couple of weeks off or taking a vacation to get away from your work for a while?

Maybe all you need IS some time off and a chance to get a whole new perspective. Getting some time off will help with that or at the very least leave you feeling refreshed and revitalized.

If you come back feeling the same and haven't changed your mind-- then it may be time to make that change in your life.

But give yourself a chance to take a fresh look at it first.

I looked at your website and it damn sure does not look like a hobby. I see and feel your passion for the business on that page. It almost jumps out at you. I agree with your parents and Candybee. Don't throw in the towel just yet. Take a step back, take a break, and then re-evalutate how you feel about it after you've taken some serious time away to think about this. I don't ever want anybody to look back at their life and feel the way that I did....the regret is killer if you find out later that was what you were meant to do. I feel like I would be so much further along had I not listened to all the naysayers. What did I do to overcome....I put ear plugs in and started reading these boards. Best of luck to you....

I can understand what you are going through. I, myself, have made the decision to close..it took a year to come to that FINAL decision.

My DH didn't want me to close last year when I wanted to, and so I continued on, knowing that we had plans for working on our house and building an apt. for my mom on our property, so I agreed and continued on "business as usual". But, now, I have found myself back at that original decision and weighed the pros and cons FOR US.

The economy has somewhat put a dent in the business, but for the most part, not. I have been doing this since my youngest was 2 yrs. old and for the past year, he's been wanting me to stop...why? So I can spend MORE time with him on the weekends...and I don't blame him. For me, he's only young once.

I have always believed that your "gut feeling" is your true feeling. Like I was always told, when you have a multiple choice question, your 1st answer is normally the "right one".

Take time and list pros and cons on paper.....look, evaluate and take a week or so to digest, you will then know what to do.

It's not an easy decision, believe me....but, make the decision work for YOU.

ETA: Yes, your website is gorgeous and I remember when you posted your new pics for it.

All my best to you,

Carrie

Thank you all for your kind words!! You all are right in terms of taking a break...definitely in need of a good vacation!

I will weigh out the pros and cons. Wow, 2007-2008 has been a very challenging, devastating time for me in my personal life and with all that went on it seemed to have wiped out all of my energy and love for all that I do. So here I am now trying to hold on to the one thing that has always helped me to get through...my candles. I have experienced so much heartache in my life that the candle business was like my baby, my escape from the world.

The candle business has been very good to me and my son as well as VERY costly. I thought about switching to the other side and teaching people how to make candles and that's kind of why I wrote my book on it. This is definitely a big decision. I also think I have too much on my plate. I'm back to working full-time again, I'm in school taking 3 classes and going through a healing process from some situations that have occurred in my life.

Thank you all again for your kind words...it feels good knowing I'm not alone.

Peace & Blessings,

Jameel

I love what I do, but there are days I also dread making candles, or filling one more order.

I get tired of being stuck in the house day and night pouring candles covered in wax..

I look and smell like a big pillar for the most part!!

But when I feel like that I think..

I am very blessed to be able to stay home with my kids, earn a decent income, work my own hours. That alone is worth it for me..

I am so tired of making candle right now, filling fundraisers, internet orders. paper work, filing...

I would love to say screw it...

But as they say... The grass isn't always greener on the other side..

No matter what job you have, there will be days you will want to quit. (No matter how much you like what your doing)

As others said.. Take a long break after the holidays..

Shut down for a month.. You can do it, because it is your business!!!

Whatever you decide.... Good Luck!

Yes. In fact, I think everyone should close up shop. That way there would be less competition. :grin2:

Seriously though, you have to do what makes you happy and if this no longer makes you happy then take a break and refocus. Life is too short to not try new things and new adventures.

Defiantly take time off and see how it goes. I closed mine this summer while I moved...2.5 months it was closed. I had been dealing the love/hate relationship for at least a year. I figured I could use the break and didn't need the added stress of having to keep the biz rolling while so much other stuff was going on. During the time it was closed I took my biz in another direction and I went back to work full time (from home). I opened the candle portion back up thinking it would rekindle that desire I once had and it didn't for me. Now I miss life as it was when it was closed and know exactly what I'm going to do. I'm happy that I don't have to struggle with the decision anymore.