My first votives

Brat

I used wick pins, but they all seem to look crooked. I might have to bend them a little to make them straight... Peak's coffee and purple, Peak's votive blend, recommended wicks for the votive blend, and hazlenut fo. It doesn't smell at all lit... almost singed my nose trying to smell one of them, but oh well. I'll learn! (hopefully)

post-1603-139458384929_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

I made them about a week ago... I've got one burning now, along with an Asian Sandlewood container candle, and nothing. I'm guessing I didn't use enough FO. I've burned them on and off for a week, and if I get close to them I can smell just the faintest trace of scent, but the scent doesn't travel at ALL.

I'll get it... I promise!:grin2:

Thanks!

I made them about a week ago... I've got one burning now, along with an Asian Sandlewood container candle, and nothing. I'm guessing I didn't use enough FO. I've burned them on and off for a week, and if I get close to them I can smell just the faintest trace of scent, but the scent doesn't travel at ALL.

I'll get it... I promise!:grin2:

All the Hazelnut's I've tried have been pretty strong. How much FO did you use to how much wax? I haven't used that wax so can't help ya on that part.

Your votives look nice though.

You know, it's difficult for me to achieve a dark color with dye blocks. I'll add a bunch and the mix will look really dark, but then it sets much lighter. I noticed you have a liquid dye bottle in there. I'm thinking it's easier to use a dropper than trying to cut fragments off of a dye block....and you've actually achieved a dark color!

These candles of yours look very clean. I tend to favor a mottled look, but the solid look is more photogenic. I think you did well, my friend.

As for the scents, there are a few that seem to fill the entire room, while others are much more faint, even though I always use the same amount. Of course, if you're accustomed to the scent it may be more difficult for you to notice it.

Of course, I tried doubling the scents in mine one time (from 1/2 oz. to 1 oz. per pound) and the result resembled some sort of crime scene:

badoil.jpg

Much of the extra fragrance oil came right back out. I later learned that something called 'stearate' would help keep the oil inside. Anyway, go ahead and try more fragrance oil if you want...just don't get this mess above :grin2:

All the Hazelnut's I've tried have been pretty strong. How much FO did you use to how much wax? I haven't used that wax so can't help ya on that part.

Your votives look nice though.

I think I used 1/2 ounce per pound. I'm not real sure... think that's what the bottle said. But I didn't know how to really measure it, might have to get a small shot glass to measure out of, since I have a little digital scale. I've still got some scent left, I'll try to figure how to make it right! It stunk up the house while I was making it, but when it's lit I get nothing.

You know, it's difficult for me to achieve a dark color with dye blocks. I'll add a bunch and the mix will look really dark, but then it sets much lighter. I noticed you have a liquid dye bottle in there. I'm thinking it's easier to use a dropper than trying to cut fragments off of a dye block....and you've actually achieved a dark color!

These candles of yours look very clean. I tend to favor a mottled look, but the solid look is more photogenic. I think you did well, my friend.

As for the scents, there are a few that seem to fill the entire room, while others are much more faint, even though I always use the same amount. Of course, if you're accustomed to the scent it may be more difficult for you to notice it.

Of course, I tried doubling the scents in mine one time (from 1/2 oz. to 1 oz. per pound) and the result resembled some sort of crime scene:

Much of the extra fragrance oil came right back out. I later learned that something called 'stearate' would help keep the oil inside. Anyway, go ahead and try more fragrance oil if you want...just don't get this mess above :grin2:

Thanks for the compliment! One day when I figure out what I'm doing, I'll probably be able to duplicate it. I just hope I can get the FO stuff figured out. My second candle had an awesome mottle, and I'm not sure how I did that either.... oh well :confused::grin2:

Oh I'll try hard not to make the mess you did.... it's funny seeing the result, but I'm sure it's not very funny having to clean it up!