The importance of knowing what you are doing when making soap

Meridith

I'm so glad to see others here test soap from every batch! I thought it was just me being anal--I see I'm not alone! :D

That's the best part of making your own stuff is getting to use it and test new stuff. You can never have too many bars of soap in your shower. Well, you can but this is what I tell myself:smiley2: .

That is some scary shit.

I get all high and mighty when I see soap sellers/B&B makers at farmers markets and craft shows with no labels on their products. If they DO have labels, trying to convince their customers that their Goats milk cream is ONLY goat's milk and glycerin and essential oil of PEACH. LOL! :laugh2:

I USED to get really pissed off, because here I am, adhering to my governments rules and regulations to the letter and these blowhards are giving us all a bad name.

Now, I just snicker. They're fly by night. They will NOT have repeat business.

I am SOOO glad that the woman came back and made a stink.

Someone asked me at a craft show once how I test the batches I make. I told him that I lick every loaf. He thought I was a nut. :P

Oh, I don't know... I've made some damn fine soap out of grocery store oils. It's about knowing what each one brings to the table and what happens if you saw off a leg on the table or add a shim here and there.

It's the formulation of the over all and synergy of each one.

Grumpy, I have a sneaky feeling you could make a good bar of soap using a stick of butter! :laugh2:

I also test my batches every time. Glad to hear that lady bought more soap from you.

When I first started I used the Miller's site as well. Yes, it can be confusing but I used to use their vegetable oil recipes here: http://www.millersoap.com/soapallveg.html I'm sure their lard ones are good too.

Start off with a few oils and have the goggles, and gloves on as well and a good scale and make a smaller batch to see how it turns out.

I found soapmakers companion to be pretty worthless. I would just stick to learning here and on other forums, looking for advice from people who know what they are doing like grumpy suggested. Everything I learned I learned first from the net then by experience actually making soap. I started with the basics, then if I had a question I would ask.

I think reading about soaping just doesn't compare to the experience of doing it, but I'm a hands on kinda' gal.