splitting order to ship

LynnS

I have been working on the order for 100 9 ounce candles.No way should it go all in one box. Decided to put back in boxes the empty jars come in. Probably split into 3-4 bigger boxes. In doing this will the cost to ship be more for the customer? I figured over 100 lbs or more for all and really to heavy for anyone to lift.

Looking to ship DHL since a order for 50 8 ounce candles was almost $52.00 to the the same destination when checking shipping cost.

Any Ideas or help on what to do????:confused:

LynnS

I would probably put them back in the boxes and then pack the boxes in a couple bigger boxes. You also have to pack them safely, not just cheaply. Without the boxes you will end up bubblewrapping each one and making sure they won't break against each other in shipping. A couple of oversize boxes are probably cheaper than 3-4 regular size.

yes, it will cost more. All shippers charge "per package" until you reach 200 lbs., and then you'll quality for the hundred-weight discount.

I'll give you a prime example ... I order soap in bulk from different suppliers. One supplier refuses to multi-pack blocks of soap, so I pay for each box ~ to the tune of about $20+ per box. Another supplier will package 3 blocks in one larger box and that box costs me maybe $50.00 for shipping ... saving over $10.00 for the same quantity of soap.

Sometimes paying more is by far worth it over taking the chance of some getting broken, especially when dealing with glass! If you did try to pack all 100 pieces in one box, not only would it be extremely heavy (which some shippers will ding you on big time!) but it could end up being oversized too which they'll really ding you on and your surcharges would end up being more than just splitting it into 2 boxes from the start.

It is 10 of each scent(10 fo's) so I packed it all back in the boxes. Had 2 spaces that were left so stuffed with some newspaper to keep the one from moving. Bubble wrap is alot of work and expensive when packing. I have used all mine that I got from orders I received. Now have to buy it.

Off to the shipping center tomorrow. It is 25 miles. I tried the one 10 miles from me and it seemed way to high when I sent 20 candles. Seems to me they don't try to work with you but the POST OFFICE does.

One more thing?? I was told I have to buy the shipping boxes.That is a bummer.The PO gives me all I want and never a dime spent. Do most of you buy the boxes at the shipping centers/outlets. If not I am going to question that.:confused:

Thank You

LynnS

so how many boxes do you have?

If you're talking about getting boxes from UPS store, Kinko's, Staples, etc., yes you will have to buy them and they can ran anywhere from $1.00 - $5.00 depending on the size of the box. Walmart carries boxes too by the office supplies and they're cheaper although still more expensive than buying them online.

If this is going to be a regular thing for you, you should consider looking into shipping supplies from Uline, Papermart, etc. whatever supplier is reasonably close to you. Boxes are expensive to buy and ship to you, but it has to be done if you're going to operate an online business.

UPS stores, etc. will charge you fees for everything little thing, so again if this is going to be a regular situation, you should really look into getting a carrier account to save yourself time, travel/gas, and some of the shipping fees. Account holders get discounted shipping.

Thank You SoapMom about buying boxes.I am spoiled with USPS when they are free with priority. I will start buying boxes.I have a couple at home I might be able to use but they are kinda big and I was told today the order MUST be in 2 boxes with 100 lb weight.

I got a quote of $69.00 each box from Ohio to CT.Not to bad but then he said add $30.00 more if we pack.I said I will pack thinking no charge.Then told IF you pack it will be $20.00 more to ship.UMMMMM!!!!!.

I asked about DHL quote since I got a quote last month for 8 ounce JJ. I was told they no longer use DHL because they had problems.Did use them last month and then was told DHL is phasing out. Anyone know anything about this and do you think the shipping quote cost is high. If some of you ship from home and familiar do you think that is a good cost.it is a estimate but I have to drive almost over 25 miles to the place and don't want to waste my time.One other place is closer but they were high a year ago for only 20 candles.

Thanks

LynnS

DHL is closing one of their shipping hubs in Ohio.

I would use the shipping calculator from UPS and USPS. Try different combinations. I order glass jars from Miami and ran every combination and found my cheapest shipping at 13 small cases. Anything more and the price went way up. Anything less and the price per jar was higher. It's weird but worth the effort.

You can ship any package up to 70 lbs. UPS. Be advised that UPS is brutal on packages. I do most of my shipping by USPS.

What about flat-rate boxes? Any break there?

Coconut,

Thank You.

I love flat rate. Not sure about how many boxes it would take but PO has a larger box than large flat rate and a quote wasn't to bad for 8 ounce JJ even though the shipping outlet quoted PO price to be $76.00 and DHL to be $50.00 or just above a month ago for 8 ounce. When I asked Postmaster he quoted me just over $46.00 with the 100 8 ounce and destination.

The customer did have problems with USPS with breakage on a few things that were shipped from other companies. I only had 2 candles break and replaced them. I did send USPS sample orders and they were fine. I might consider PO and replace jars.I will have Postmaster mark breakable and glass and that should help. I think it would only cost $65.00 to ship USPS with 5 of the flat rate boxes.Rounded off. At least 2 boxes and hopefully 3 would go in a flat rate so why not try that.If any broken my fault and I will replace with no charge.It is a chance all of us take when we ship anything.

$140.00 is a bit steep and then I pack would be $40.00 more LOL. I pretty much already have them packed in the original boxes. I don't want charge that cost to ship to my customer/customers.

This customer prefers DHL but closing here like you know also.Must be the one near me.Of course my luck.

LynnS

I personally wouldn't trust the P.O. with an order of 100 candles. Their insurance isn't worth the paper it's written on, whereas UPS has never failed me on claim ~ they're fast and easy to work with and have always reimbursed me or the customer right away! I've only ever been denied once, and that was truly my fault because I waited too long to file.

How much do each of your boxes weigh? The biggest shipping box that I personally use is 16 x 16 x 16. I crammed one of those full of games, coats, etc. to send out to my dad's house for Spring Break and from Indiana to rural Washington (i.e. additional surcharge) was like $34.00 for that box. I do have a daily pick-up account, so I get a small discount.

I ship heavy boxes of soaps all the time and rarely pay over $30.00 for ground service to anywhere.

As far as buying supplies, I highly recommend ordering online ~ even split it with somebody if you have to because Walmart & Staples are WAY over priced on the bubble wrap especially.

I've never heard of a customer dictating the carrier the supplier uses. You should have this all determined well ahead of orders. You offer specific carriers, and if they want your product, they will pay the shipping charges. Just like you do when you order supplies!

When you start letting customers tell you how to run your business, you lose.

You're making this much more difficult than it needs to be. If they want your product, they will pay the shipping. They have no choice.

Don't forget to include the cost of your time/labor in your final cost.

It is working out.I should have thought PO after all. The big shipping companies are getting out of control and when the PO can out do them that is bad. BUT good for us who ship.

I thought this UPS guy is out of it to charge me to pack. No matter where I am home or there.That was the clincher and wasn't paying that.So I go to PO and it is $90.85. I used 2 larger boxes and 2 large priority and all the cost was. Better than the UPS approx cost of $180.00 with the added cost of me packing.

The customer was fine with PO after I gave the cost for small orders with UPS but we both thought the big companies with bigger orders would be cheaper.WRONG.

I see me doing much more business with USPS and they are only 1 1/2 miles from me.AND boy are those candles snug. Not a inch to move. I see no breakage.

LynnS

sorry, but I just think what you paid is totally insane.

Admittedly, I still can't visualize the boxes you're referring to because I don't do candles, but the "large" P.O. boxes and priority boxes would so easily fit into a "standard" box that I use everyday. Even if you boxed 2 of the P.O. boxes into another box, you would have only had 2 cartons which shouldn't have totally more than $70 - $75 to ship.

My personal objective is to ship as few cartons as possible, not only to keep the "per package" shipping costs down, but also to limit the "lost package" possibility. The P.O. especially is notorious for this, and shipping multiple priority mail boxes is risky IMO.

Soapmom,

I see where I could do away with one priority box.I am checking the PO for a box in between the large flat rate and their bigger boxes. I am sure a size in between and could get the last 2 boxes of candles in one box. Going to get the size of these 2 boxes from the PO and check Uline for the cost of this size box.

The weight of the bigger boxes(with candles) was 42 lbs and that is a good bit to carry for anyone and I do see splitting the 2. UPS wouldn't ship that way.All 100 lbs in one box.

The Postmistress said up to 70 lbs.She is bigger than me but shorter. She got it but had to slide it to the scale.My husband carried both in and it was heavy. He only took one big box and a priority box at a time. That was heavy enough to carry.Next time I am going to have him get a dolly that is at the PO.

I am just learning to ship large orders.So why I might goof the first time but will learn. This was my first large order and all others have been flat rate or a box I happen to have here for a smaller order of just a candle or 2.

LynnS

LynnS, You are welcome. For what it is worth, here are my experiences with USPS and UPS. I collect glass and buy a lot of it on eBay. Nearly everything ships USPS, and the only time it arrives broken is when it is poorly packed. As for insurance, glass must be double-boxed to qualify. UPS-they will also deny a claim if it is poorly packed. Learned this at work (I did not pack the box.) Both my husband and daughter worked at UPS in the sorting facility and I can tell you this: boxes there are routinely thrown and even kicked by the workers, especially heavy ones. Trucks are packed like a jigsaw puzzle-where it fits. This could mean a tiny, very heavy box on top of your box and it will punch right through the box. Make sure you use a box that has a 200 lb. rating on the bottom. This will withstand most punches. Also remember peanuts are not really good packing material. They tend to settle and shift. Foam and even crumpled paper are better. A double box is always good if you can do it. Best of luck to you-you will get the hang of it.

That quote seems exceptionally high. I ship UPS from Ohio to New England almost weekly since that's where most of my wholesale accounts are. I just sent a 26 lb box yesterday and it was 14 bucks. A couple of weeks ago, I sent a shipment that was split into 4 boxes and weighed a total of 110 lbs. and the total was $53. Any time you take your packages to a retail outlet, they hike up the price. You should get an account with UPS, pack your items yourself and you can drop them anywhere that UPS picks up daily. You can even flag down a driver and give it to him!!! It is a whole lot cheaper to do it this way. As for splitting an order, I would rather be safe than sorry. If I'm figuring correctly your candles would be over 50 lbs. I think something that heavy would risk bursting the box. (Every time I get in a case of wax, the box is split open)!! UPS will help you set up an account. It's very easy and they will just send you a bill weekly or you can pay with credit card as you go. So much cheaper than taking it someplace to send it.

Nancy

Quack Soap

That would have been great for shipping.I gave him the weight(100 lbs) and the zip code and he said it would have to be 2 boxes. The size candles would be shipped. Around here for UPS and Fed Ex all we have are outlets and I want to learn the shipping thing from home(like mrsposey said). I do have a account with UPS but been over 4 years and never used it.I see the truck go by my house more than once a day since I live on a state route. Would be convenient to have them drop by.

What I going to do is work on this and if I overcharged will be re-imbursing.Going to PO to get a in between box(like I mentioned) that is slightly smaller than the big boxes(holds 4 cases) and if 2 cases of candles fit in there and it is less cost I will re-imburse the difference

Personally I think the UPS guy was way off and if I would have gone I would hope it would have been cheaper but when they quote over the phone prices like that who wants to go in and waste time.

For the packing thing I think that is alot of nonsense.

I did have bad luck with UPS(high) when I took a couple small orders in. Wanted to ship 25 packs of tarts and I was given the biggest box behind the counter. Saw lots of smaller boxes. I about went over the counter to tell the guy this box will do. You would not believe all the peanuts he put it that sucker. Just for packs of tarts.I didn't make 1 dime off that order. Even drove 25 miles to ship and to me was a waste.

We do live close to the PO and I am amazed how many people come in and mail boxes everyday. Maybe they feel the way I do with UPS.

Will check on my UPS account that is so old.Might need to open a new one.

As all of us who ship we want to be fair to our customers. Best price. With my on-line small orders shipping is calculated and I have no problems. It is fair and accurate.

Looks like I need to work on this alot.

Thank You Everyone,

LynnS

If you sign up for an account with either UPS or the Post Office you weigh your item, and print your label on your printer. Then you can drop off at any place that takes UPS or give Priority to your mail man. This has been a confusing post to me since I ship with both companys and have for years and have never had a problem. Kroger grocery store takes UPS so you can drop off pkg there. Why don't you use your wax boxes to ship in? Also the post office cost way more than UPS for things that weigh more than 6 or 7 lbs. Where in Ohio are you? If near Cincinnati there is a box place you could pick up from. I get a box 14x12x14 for $.75 each, it's a good price and I can have them delivered to a store near by for free or pick up. AM Shipping 513-542-0225. good luck and hope everything works out...

I am 25 miles from Dayton and about 50-60 miles from Cincy. Preble County where the Pork Fest is.If you are in KY you might know of it.Alot of people come from everywhere in the US.

Not close to anything but outlets. USPS is close to me. I am near a town of about 1,000 people and I am on the outskirts. We do have a outlet about 10 miles but they are high like we all know. :shocked2:

The order was shipped on Tues. It arrived today. Took 2 days to get to CT from Ohio.:) Is UPS that fast???

LynnS

yes, UPS is equally as fast for that specific area. OH to CT would only be 2 days, plus automatically insured (for $100.00 anyway, but you can buy extra), plus it's able to be tracked at every step, not just "delivery confirmation"

If you haven't already, I would suggest you follow up to make sure they all arrived safely. Require your accounts to open all boxes right away so they can report any damage within a certain number of days (I usually allow 3-5 days). Any damage reported after that is "too late"

Contacting them shows you care, which will go a long way :)