Herbs and things in M & P

SherriLynn

I've been wanting to try some mint or rosemary in M & P soaps as an exfoliant. When added, do those herbs change the soap to a green color or do they just look like little green flecks in the soap(which is more of what I'm looking for)

I add poppy seed and coffee grounds to some of my soaps now. The poppy seeds keep their color, but the coffee ground dyes my soap a nice tan color, perfect for the mocha scent.

I was worried that the herbs would dye my soaps all a green color.

when i added rosemary i ground it up a bit and it just left flecks throughout my M&P

you could always do a layered with the mint, like i do, i do a vanilla bottom, mint in the middle with mint leaves and a touch of green color and vanilla on the top, its very eye catching

I make a Rosemary Mint soap quite often, with ground mint and rosemary and EO's . The herbs don't color the soap, and actually turn kinda brown, but I grind them up fine so it gives the soap that 'herbal' look. I color the soap a mint green. I'll post a pic when I can find one. I use ground herbs- chamomile, calendula, mint, lemon balm, rosemary, lemon verbena, etc.- in alot of herbal soaps, just for the look, they don't really add any color or scent. Although the calendula does hold its yellow color and looks really nice.

I just started working with herbs and herb blends. I also use herbs straight out of herbal tea blends and mix those in my soaps. I love a nice chamomile and honey, lemon peel, hibiscus, orange peel, rose hips, etc. Its an easy way to get herbs in your soap. I also use a bit of ground spice like nutmeg, cinnamon, and paprika. I love the texture and the way it adds color.

I love to go to my local health food store and try out their essential oils and herbs for soap making.

My new fav is lemon and tea tree essential oils with dried lemon peel. The soap smells wonderful and the lemon peel makes a nice exfollient and the lemon is a natural astringement and good for relaxation.

I have to see if they have any seeds. Those are also good for making exfoliating scrubby soaps. I am looking for strawberry, poppy, etc. because they are small seeds I don't have to grind.