Strahl & Pitsch Crystallizing Palm Wax

Got my free 5 lb sample of the S&P Crystallizing Wax and poured a 1/2 lb sample of Cinnamon Bun. Wow - that was easy after the Calsoy CB3. Poured at 185 as is recommended and it cooled with beautiful crystal texture even on the top. And it's nice and flat and no cracks or any of that stuff. Anyone know how it throws compared to the CB3 or another soy/veg blend?

I'll post my own results after I burn it in the morning.

Has anyone tried adding some of this to the CB3? You would lose the crystal effect but might it stabilize some of the problems of the pure soy blends? Just a thought :rolleyes2

The throw in this wax (the S & P) is not that bad. But as with anything that has palm in it, I don't think it throws as well as my straight soy. I tried mixing it one time with my straight soy, just for kicks, and got a not so pretty candle. It looks just like you would think the crystal effect and creamy soy would look together, plus some splotchy frosting thrown in. But it sure smells good. If you are like me, you will want to mix them yourself, just so you can see what it will look like. I am going to pull mine out again one of these days and play with it some more as the effects of this wax is very nice. I just haven't had a lot of time to test it as extensively as I would have liked. So it is one of those, "when I have nothing better to do" projects.

I have used it. It is pretty, but the hot throw is not that great IMO. I did not try mixing it with soy, but have read from others that you dont get the crystalizing effect. I was however, going to mix their smooth blend with my CB3, and see how that works out.

Got my free 5 lb sample of the S&P Crystallizing Wax and poured a 1/2 lb sample of Cinnamon Bun. Wow - that was easy after the Calsoy CB3. Poured at 185 as is recommended and it cooled with beautiful crystal texture even on the top. And it's nice and flat and no cracks or any of that stuff. Anyone know how it throws compared to the CB3 or another soy/veg blend?

I'll post my own results after I burn it in the morning.

Has anyone tried adding some of this to the CB3? You would lose the crystal effect but might it stabilize some of the problems of the pure soy blends? Just a thought :rolleyes2

Hi Vicki,

I think that the Palm Crystal wax is beautiful too. I have never used it since it is not suppose to be able to hold as much FO and the throw was not known to be really good. Someday, I will try it and see for myself.

Isn't it great when you don't have to wait for the wax to cool so low? I hate that part about soy. I feel like it takes me twice as long to make candles. The CB-3 is definitely not a quirk free soy. I have found that if you do not go over 170-175 in heating temp it is less likely to get that noticable dip and hairline crack. I mainly have the horrible frost problem in the real heavy fragrances.

Today I made another cinnamon candle (the dreadful frost creator) and used the Frostop that I received from Daphne. It is still in the cooling process (setting) but so far no frost. I think by now I would normally start to see frost. I sure hope it works. If it does at least that will be conquered. Then all I have left is the possibility of those dreadful invisible airpockets that I will have to figure out -- maybe the stearic will help that.

Anyway, I am off the focus of your thread. lol Let us know how the scent throw goes. How much FO were you able to get in it? I look forward to hearing the results!

~Holly

Isnt this the same wax that candles and supplies sells? Because the wax I have from them in the crystalizing container palm wax from strahl & pitsch, and they said that it holds up to 10% FO.

Hi Laura,

You could be right. I may be thinking of what the Astorlite Q can hold. If it can hold 10% that is great! I am not sure on the Candles and Supplies wax -- not sure what they sell. I will try this wax someday just for fun. :)

well when i emailed them at candles and supplies they said it could hold up to 10% depending on the FO i guess, lol. But i havent messed with it a whole lot yet. Sounds like it takes forever to cure and i dont have that kind of patience, so maybe one of these days when i have nothing better to do ill make some, put them up and forget about them a while so they can cure lol

Isnt this the same wax that candles and supplies sells? Because the wax I have from them in the crystalizing container palm wax from strahl & pitsch, and they said that it holds up to 10% FO.

I am not sure that it is the same company. I did run across a supplier that sold it at one time, but just can't remember who it was. I think it holds 6-7%. It has been so long since I used this wax, I don't remember.

Here is the link to one of the jars that I did with it. It did have a good throw.

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=gallery;action=display;num=1111368944;start=

Today I made another cinnamon candle (the dreadful frost creator) and used the Frostop that I received from Daphne. It is still in the cooling process (setting) but so far no frost. I think by now I would normally start to see frost. I sure hope it works. If it does at least that will be conquered. Then all I have left is the possibility of those dreadful invisible airpockets that I will have to figure out -- maybe the stearic will help that.

I apologize for the hijack, but what is this Frostop you speak of? lol I need some of that! :grin2:

Back on topic, I have tons of Strahl & Pitch palm wax in both the container (SP 487P) and pillar/votive (SP 486P) that I would be willing to share at my cost. If anyone wants to try it out just send me a PM. :)

Kimberly

I apologize for the hijack, but what is this Frostop you speak of? lol I need some of that! :grin2:

Back on topic, I have tons of Strahl & Pitch palm wax in both the container (SP 487P) and pillar/votive (SP 486P) that I would be willing to share at my cost. If anyone wants to try it out just send me a PM. :)

Kimberly

Hi Kimberly,

To avoid me hijacking this thread further (since I got off the subject above), go to my thread:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8606

Within that thread you will see a post from me giving the info. :)

I contacted S&P after I received my samples. They said the fragrance load for the container & pillar blend palm is 6%.

That is what I thought -- the same as the Astorlite Q (which I think is also a palm -- not sure). Maybe the the ideal is 6% but it actually can hold more.

I am not sure that it is the same company. I did run across a supplier that sold it at one time, but just can't remember who it was. I think it holds 6-7%. It has been so long since I used this wax, I don't remember.

Here is the link to one of the jars that I did with it. It did have a good throw.

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=gallery;action=display;num=1111368944;start=

Hi Kerry,

It sure makes a pretty candle. It does have a similiar appearance to Mia Bella's. Most of thier's have a pretty good throw. Why did you decide not to go with it -- I forget? I think I will test it just for fun. I think it would make pretty candles for Christmas -- with vivid Christmas colors in special jars -- a limited addition. :)

Just didn't have time to test it as much as I wanted. The throw really wasn't that bad, with most of my FO's. I did test my Ginger Peach in it, which is one of my best sellers, and it didn't throw that well. They yellow jasmine one that is in the picture threw very well. I have been so busy changing my jars and soy wax that I just haven't had time to test it any further. Maybe once I get my current testing finished up I will pull it out again. Sure makes pretty candles. I think that because the supplier is so far away from me too, and the wax is a little pricey to begin with, that I was thinking I didn't want to get too involved in it right now. Not until I get my candle sales going well again. Testing new stuff has really slowed me down and I have not been concentrating on sales enough.

Just didn't have time to test it as much as I wanted. The throw really wasn't that bad, with most of my FO's. I did test my Ginger Peach in it, which is one of my best sellers, and it didn't throw that well. They yellow jasmine one that is in the picture threw very well. I have been so busy changing my jars and soy wax that I just haven't had time to test it any further. Maybe once I get my current testing finished up I will pull it out again. Sure makes pretty candles. I think that because the supplier is so far away from me too, and the wax is a little pricey to begin with, that I was thinking I didn't want to get too involved in it right now. Not until I get my candle sales going well again. Testing new stuff has really slowed me down and I have not been concentrating on sales enough.

I hear ya. It is so time consuming and expensive to test different things. It could be one of those waxes that you have to shop around even more to find the ones that throw in it and you can get many duds but when it throws it really throws. I am not going to try it until I am done working the kinks out of the CB-3 Calsoy. I have the frosting issue fixed -- thanks to Frostop! But I still have to work on the dips and cracking. Testing with Stearic is next. I hate taking the gun to the beautiful tops! It is also very timeconsuming. It really slows me down. Soy is slow enough as it is because I have to wait for it to cool to either 130 or 125. I wish you the best success with your candles!

well the crystalline container palm wax i got from candles and supplies, is in a box that says S&P (Strahl & Pitsch) and she said it could hold up to 10% so i assumed it was the same as what is being discussed here?

Maybe that is where Kaybee saw it sold before. That is good news. If the box says it, I would assume that it is it! I notice that some companies will indicate the ideal amount of FO to use but also say that one can test at higher levels. Calsoy recommends testing anywhere from 7-10% but they say ideally 7% -- depending on the oil. I have found that most oils blend better in the CB-3 Calsoy than some of the paraffin blends I have used. Thanks for the info. :)

well the crystalline container palm wax i got from candles and supplies, is in a box that says S&P (Strahl & Pitsch) and she said it could hold up to 10% so i assumed it was the same as what is being discussed here?

I think you are absolutely right that it is S & P wax. Not sure if that is where I saw it before. The S & P site says only 6% FO, but I am sure I put in about 7 or 8 when I did my testing.