igi mottling wax

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone uses this wax could give me some advice just tried this wax and I think My scale must be off because I used 1 oz/ pp of wax and had excess oil on the outside of the candles, can I still test burn it or will it not give me a correct idea of how it will burn? Any other hints or suggestions on this wax would be very helpful.

Thanks so much,

Valerie

Hi Valerie. Are you using IGI 1274? This happened to me also with this wax. I just wiped it off with a paper towel but read that sometimes excess oil is reabsorbed as the candle sits. In one of my searches, I found a person that added 2 Tbsp. stearic per lb. to keep it from bleeding so much. Haven't tried that yet. If it is the 1274, you might get more info on the general forum as it is paraffin. If your wax is a vegie one, please ignore this as I haven't used any but you might want to put the type of wax in and someone with knowledge on that would jump in. Have a good day! Beth

Hi Valerie,

Try using less oil and see if this helps. I use IGI 1288 and through testing, I've found that I usually don't need to use the full load of fo. I don't go over my 6% and more often or not, I'm using even less than that and still getting a good throw.

Somewhere on here, I think Top explained to me once that mottling waxes don't necessarily hold as much oil because of what's in the wax to make it mottle and paraffin in general doesn't always need the full load of fo.

That's a very general explanation and I could be wrong, but I think that's fairly accurate. If you did a search on your wax or mottling waxes or even went back to where you bought your wax... you might find more information.

I haven't worked with my paraffin for awhile...dealing with soy right now...but you should be able to find something.

HTH.

Kimberly

Let's distinguish between fragrance bleed when the candle is made versus when you burn it.

It's not unusual for mottled pillars to need some cleaning up when they come out of the mold, even if you use only 1/2 oz FO per lb of wax. The mottling process itself causes FO to bleed out while it's happening, so what you're seeing is normal. Stearic acid (and a few other additives used in mottled candles) can help the candles come out more dry. It also can affect the burn, so you have to experiment with how much to use.

Interestingly, additives aren't a huge factor in preventing weeping when mottled pillars are burned. Common wisdom in the industry is that you can use up to about 3/4 oz per lb of oil without excessive bleeding. It depends on what fragrance you're using. Beyond the amount and type of fragrance, the next biggest factor is how mottled the candle is. The same thing that caused the candle to bleed while it was cooling now helps it retain fragrance when it gets warm.