Conditioning polyurethane molds

I have some molds that I use with a beeswax and bayberry blend. Sometimes they release easily and make a smooth surface and sometimes they stick and/or make a rougher finish. Does anyone have a tip for how to make them work more consistently and reliably? Is it good or bad to use silicone with these?

I am in my studio, waiting for some wax to cool so I have some time....found this...maybe it will help. D

http://www.shopmaninc.com/moldrelease.html

I like the one down on the lower right that's called Stoner Urethane Mold Release. That's probably the one I should get. If the candle doesn't come out right I'll just giggle and order pizza.

I also make beeswax/bayberry tapers and I use the mold release powder (keramide) from Genwax. I use 1 to 1-1/2 tsp. per lb. of wax and have no problems with my tapers releasing. They also have a silicone spray that works good and using both the powder and spray, the tapers slide right out!!:cool2:

Thanks, I'll boil off any existing residue and start fresh with the soap technique. So the idea is to coat with dish soap, rinse out, dry and use?

Thats right. I use really thick dish soap for this and it never rinses off completely. After talking to freind last night he told me he uses the cheapest kind of soap he can get and the stuff is so thin he doesn't wash it out. He also told me that it keeps them from degrading/cracking. I don't agree with that... I still only get about 100 pours out of em before they get brittle

He also told me that it keeps them from degrading/cracking. I don't agree with that... I still only get about 100 pours out of em before they get brittle

I've had my polyurethane taper molds for just over 6 years, used them for more much than 100 pours each and they aren't brittle at all. :cool2: