Unscented soaps

Jeana

Every since making my first batch of Oatmeal and Honey soap, I have been wanting more soaps that smell good without adding eo or fo to them.

Can anyone recommend other ingredients that make your soap smell good without actually adding scents to them beside Oatmeal?

Beer. I made an unscented soap using Guinness Dark beer as my water and it cured with a fabulous nutty smell to it, it's light but very nice. Just make sure to let your beer go flat for a couple of days (or you can boil it) before adding the lye. Put your lye pitcher in the sink as it can foam up a bit. It stinks all to high heaven when you add the lye but cures out great in CP.

I use herbs and some spices as well but I don't smell them in soap. I think the lye pretty much "eats"up what little scent they give. I use them in my soaps for a scubbie effect or for color but not so much for their scent.

I've also used pumpkin, carrots and banana puree. I do make a soap with honey, oats, carrots, milk, and green tea that my customers have told me they can smell the carrots and honey in but I can't. To me, it just has a natural clean scent to the soap.

Ok I'm going to try some of these.

IndulgentCreations, for the beer soap, there is no water added at all, just the beer? How long does it take to cure out the bad smell, and get to the nutty smell?

Merrideth, do you know how much cocoa butter needs to be added in order to smell it?

And sockmonkey, same thing, how much dried spearmint is needed to have the smell show up?