Firestarters wick or no wick

ladysj

I also add wicks to mine...left over, unknown, loose wicks. Pretty much what goes into my firestarters is scrap wax, etc. When I start a fire, I want it to start asap....that is why I use wicks rather than having them just light the paper.

• 2 weeks later...

We add a couple leftover wicks to ours. We don't sell them - just give them to friends and family.

At the C&S workshop, they suggest not wicking them because people may think they are a candle and just put them somewhere and light them. :rolleyes2

At the C&S workshop, they suggest not wicking them because people may think they are a candle and just put them somewhere and light them. :rolleyes2

Yeah, that's always the concern.

I personally prefer a wick, because then, obviously, you can light it easier. I haven't tried it like Debk said so I can't really give an opinion on it, but sounds like a decent alternative.

This is why we stopped selling them. Even with a good sized warning label I had someone a few years ago set it on their dining room table and light it. Thankfully her husband saw what she did almost right away and put it out. Scared the crap outta me so we pulled them from our line. I can not imagine what would possess someone to light a paper muffin cup filled with wood chips and wax on their good table. But apparently they either wanted a new house or to give me a heart attack :(

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use a wick in mine but I also make mine in dixie cups. I never had luck making the ones in muffin liners they always seemed to drown out. I now use dixie cups and wood chips, and just light the wood chips at the top. I have never had a problem with one done this way and they light first try.