What is your favorite candle story?

Ok, here is mine. I did a big show a couple of years ago. A lady walked up to me that sold a name brand candle. Because she was a candle saleslady, she knew everything about candlemaking.:rolleyes2 ....She told me how I made my candles. And she said she knew the tricks we used to make them smell strong. This is what she told me. You pour the middle of the candle first. It is solid white with no fragrance at all. Then you mix up the wax with a whole bunch of scent and color and pour it around the outside of the candle. That way, when you open it, it is really strong. She told me that the candles she sells were much stronger than mine. Believe me, they are not. I don't know what made her tell me all of this. But I didn't really know what to say to her. She was hateful. I tried to explain how they were really made. But she told me that she was right, period, no buts about it. She knew everything about candlemaking. I finally agreed with her to get her to leave my booth. Glad she doesn't sell my candles. :whistle: People are funny.

Those are called core candles. A great many commercially produced pillars are core candles. Only the outside is scented. There's nothing new about that.

I've even heard some people wipe fragrance oil around the lids of their container candles to make the customers think there is more scent. What some people won't do to make their products seem better than the junk they really are! lol

Those are called core candles. A great many commercially produced pillars are core candles. Only the outside is scented. There's nothing new about that.

I've even heard some people wipe fragrance oil around the lids of their container candles to make the customers think there is more scent. What some people won't do to make their products seem better than the junk they really are! lol

Went to a craft show last year and saw a lady do that. I could not believe my eyes. When I went up to her and asked her why she did that. She auctally told me to get people to buy more of her candles. The nerve of some people. Regina

I've heard that one and also I remember someone on another board a long time ago said that she used a QTip and wiped it across the top of her candles for a better cold throw. Just out of curiousity I tried it and the top of the candle stayed oily. I don't know what hers looked like but I wouldn't want to sell candles that look like that.

I've also read that those who use homespun put a dot of scent on it...but they said they did this so people could smell the fragrance without opening all of the jars.

Maggie

Hmmmm, if you have to deceive your customers, tricking them to buy your product, maybe it is time to rethink your craft.

When you make soy candles, the cold through is wonderful. Parrifin candles after they sit, will lose the cold through. Many, many candles makers from the past add a drop of scent around the rim to freshen up the candles. If you have a really strong, really good candle, but it is hard to smell it when it is not lite. This is just a way to let the customer know what it will smell like. Especially at a very cold show. It is really hard to smell parrifin candles in the cold. They other way, is to get them to rub the top of the wax. That will bring up the scent, but the candles get marked up that way.

I still think the extra oil smeared on the inside of a jar is deceptive.

I agree! It is shameful.

Someone on TSR said they did that too. I can't remember her name but it is probably still there. It's bad enough to do it, but to go and tell about it?! I would be embarrassed if that's what it took to sell a candle.

When you make soy candles, the cold through is wonderful. Parrifin candles after they sit, will lose the cold through. Many, many candles makers from the past add a drop of scent around the rim to freshen up the candles. If you have a really strong, really good candle, but it is hard to smell it when it is not lite. This is just a way to let the customer know what it will smell like. Especially at a very cold show. It is really hard to smell parrifin candles in the cold. They other way, is to get them to rub the top of the wax. That will bring up the scent, but the candles get marked up that way.

Are you serious?

My paraffin candles do NOT lose their scent over time. In fact, they get stronger at least up to a certain point. It's called CURING! I've seen some pretty strange things, especially done by unethical chandlers, but I've never seen anybody put fo on lids. I must have read it somewhere, probably the old TSR like Traci said, but I've never personally known a chandler who would stoop to that level.

I don't know what "from the past" means, but I've been doing this for nearly 20 years so if this was habitually done, it must be from a past lifetime.

And you don't even want to know what I want to do to fools who stick their grimy fingers on the tops of my candles. It doesn't happen often, but when it does I tell them if they leave fingerprints on the wax, the candle will be turned over to the FBI for a full background check. I laugh when I say it but I'm pretty sure they know I don't find it funny.

I remember reading either here or on the old board of someone posting about a show where another "chandler" (and I use that term very loosely in this case) had a tart warmer set up under the counter out of sight with the same scent going as the candle they had burning thus implying that the single candle had an awesome throw

When I first started making candles, I had an "ex" chandler tell me to put fo on a cottonball and wipe it over the tops of the candles to make them smell stronger. I never did it...mostly because I had experienced some seepage and hated the way the tops looked if it wasn't all mopped up really good.

Then there was the lady at a craft fair who told me her candles were all QUADRUPLE scented...when I asked her what soy wax she was using, she said C3. Hmmm...that's what I use, but I didn't tell her that. Outdo the triple scented people? Some probably bought the lie.

Actually you cut into one of those store bought cores and about 1/4" in it's all grains of wax isn't it? But yeah, that's one I get all the time ... "how are these different than store bought?" Umm ... we use scent in the wax, not the packaging.

I've heard about container people doing that too. It's just sickening really. Another is just laying a pool of fragrance on the wax and not even removing the dust. Saw that, watched it and had to ask them why they didn't just scent the wax or sell something else.

But here's one ... since I have a beef with soy people just for the sake of lack of honesty. What about the people who sell soy/para blends and then lie to customers about the composition of the candle? For instance, say you use a 70/30 blend and that 70 blend is paraffin, but someone comes in looking for soy so they fib and tell the person it's 70% soy, but a paraffin buyer comes in right behind them and suddenly the composition of the candle is mostly paraffin.

Maybe if these are your candles you're talking about then you aren't using enough FO? People have no problems, even in cooler temps, smelling us a block away. I make paraffin. I wouldn't dream of smearing my candle with some scent to try to trick someone to buy it. I'd make another candle.

And I don't want people rubbing my wax ... that's kind of like let me poke your soap to see if it's hard with a finger I just sneezed a chunk of influenza on. No thanks.

Actually THIS is my FAVORITE candle story.

LOL at the things people do. Rubbing FO around jars, Not much confidence in your products and very deceptive.

Before i made my own, a lady on ebay did scent the packaging and not only that, the actual shipping box. She also used candles from the dollar store and somehow rubbed FO on them. I caught on immediately because there was no throw at all, and they melted down in a pool of wax faster than i could say shit. Actually quite pathetic.

I was down my local flea market selling candles and a lady purchased blueberry and a huckleberry 10oz candles She was a little apprehensive because she never had any luck with candles. I told her if she wasn't happy to bring back the candles and I would refund her money next time I seen her. She said that sounded fair enough. 2 weeks later she came back to my table and wanted more candles. She said that her freezer had stopped working and all her meat had spoiled and her house smelled awful so she burned my candles and she and her husband said they helped get the smell out of her house I thought that was amazing that I had made these two people so happy. They had also traveled about 30 miles just to find me and get more. It makes you feel good when people are as excited about your product as you are. Thought I would share

Steph

lol, I think it's mine, too, debscent.

Scented, didja have to paint that picture? Do NOT get me started on people who stick their stinking fingers in cosmetics. Do NOT GO THERE WITH ME!

Is it better if I just say someone diddling on my candles and picking at the wax and perhaps ruining a rustic look after maybe picking at their privates or just got out of the port-a-john and didn't use sanitizer?

Another of my favorites is going to a free-for-all show where you pick your space and set up. Container people next door with lids on the product and people telling them they can smell them half the park away ... G E T R E A L.

I have other favorites too ... like paraffin will melt the smile off your Mona Lisa ... and that these are pure, natural candles scented with Love Spell and Bubble gum and grape and whatever.

I think I should stay away from this thread, because a lot of these stories just make sick and pissy.