Fire Starters Question

Dolphin146

Hi there

I scented mine, I used KY Pillar Paraffin Wax and colored them and

Scented. These were done with PINE CONES.

Green was Pine type

Orange was Orange Clove

Red was Christmas Splendor

White was Jack Frost or Peppermint type scent.

Then I filled cupcake paper with shredded potpourri and filled it with

the colored wax.

These 4 color and scent were huge hit, I set them in a basket as gift giving type. They look beautiful. OH another thing I did was

Wax dipped the cinnamon sticks, just halves of the long 6inches, stuck them together tied with raffia in the basket. kinda make it look neat looking.

HTH

Meg

I save all of my "mistakes" (lol) and use that wax. I pour the discarded wax in a pie pan lined with foil. After it hardens I pull out the "wax round", wrap it in the foil and stack it on it's side in a container to be used for - whatever - later. I have lots of these pie rounds! :D

In answer to your question on "scented" - Yes, it's all scented and I found when selling my firestarters they wanted to know what scent was in the thing. I always said a mix with pine as an element. When I melted any of the wax down, I added a little pine for the effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent mine just because I know that when I look at any kind of wax creation for sale... I sniff it. And when it has nothing to offer my nose, I'm instantly not interested.

I realize though, that they won't become room fragrance-ers when tossed in the fire necessarilly. Some might for a short while, most probably won't though. But "I' know that's not what they are for, so I wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't work that way even though they smelled good when I bought them.

I do, however, also believe that if they are scented well they can work as good as any bowl of potpourri. And in a warm environment (somewhere near the fire) your chances of a SLIGHT scent escaping are good. So that's why I scent mine.

Mine are also made of leftover wax and if I don't like the combined fragrance- it often helps to add a bit of either Vanilla, Cinnamon, or Pine. They can help to compliment just about any scent conglomeration and tame it down or round it out!

I do think you should give it a name though. As a consumer I'd always ask if it didn't say. It can be as simple as 'Fall Potpourri Scent' if it's Cinnamon heavy, or 'Summer Surprise' if it's fruity, etc. That way you are not locked into any descriptive type of name, and your actual scents can fluctuate with out having to rename.

Hi there

I scented mine, I used KY Pillar Paraffin Wax and colored them and

Scented. These were done with PINE CONES.

Green was Pine type

Orange was Orange Clove

Red was Christmas Splendor

White was Jack Frost or Peppermint type scent.

Then I filled cupcake paper with shredded potpourri and filled it with

the colored wax.

These 4 color and scent were huge hit, I set them in a basket as gift giving type. They look beautiful. OH another thing I did was

Wax dipped the cinnamon sticks, just halves of the long 6inches, stuck them together tied with raffia in the basket. kinda make it look neat looking.

HTH

Meg

Never done these but have thought about it. I was thinking of the pine cones too...the cupcake,just another idea for a fire starter? Right? has nothing to do with pine cone? Sorry just wanted to make sure I understand that. Hopefully we will have time to mess with a few this year. Thanks,LeeAnn

I make unscented ones to use when a fire will be lit for cooking food, otherwise I make the unscented ones for fireplaces or woodburners. I read several things before on other boards that you shouldn't use the scented ones for food fires...guess pine scented smores aren't such a good thing.

Never done these but have thought about it. I was thinking of the pine cones too...the cupcake,just another idea for a fire starter? Right? has nothing to do with pine cone? Sorry just wanted to make sure I understand that. Hopefully we will have time to mess with a few this year. Thanks,LeeAnn

I figured it out. That was new to me. LeeAnn~

How do these work...doesn't the wax make a mess in the fireplace?

I have never had a problem with this, nor has anyone ever mentioned this as a problem. The instructions I provide are to put down a few logs, add the firestarters, then top with another once firestarters are lit. In my cases (and I use them all winter long) the wax goes into the wood. They work great for me...better than the store bought "bricks" and are much cheaper!

HTH.

what do you usually charge for your firestarters? I made some with rolled up kraft packaging paper (the thick bumpy type) and tied them with a wick. I did not know if .50 was too much each. They are about 4 to 4 1/2 in long.

• 4 weeks later...

For my own use, when I clean jars and pots, I line my cake pan with paper towel, very thick about 5 sheets. When it is realy saturated with wax, I roll them up like a jelly roll, while they are still warm. Let cool and store. They are heavy duty fire starters I use for starting campfires. I have no woodstove any more lol.

I just started making these too. I scented some and left the others "plain" I put pine cones on the top and I sell them for .75 each. I figured they were cheap to make and they do sell good. I put them in a baggie - and tie it up with raffia and you are done. Great way to use up old wax and free pine cones from the yard!

We have made these for about 5 years. We use the cupcake liners, use wood chips and small pine cones. We melt down and pour left over wax over them. I stick left over wick pieces in them. We love them for our fireplace.

We sell a bag of 3 for a dollar. Pretty cheap, but other than the bag, cupcake liners and tag, using left over stuff. If we had to add something else, we couldn't sell them that cheap.

This thread has reminded me to get cracking on my firestarters, they are all we use in our fireplace and it is almost that time again! I also use leftover wax that is already scented, but I was also given two slabs of parrafin wax that I plan on using as well, I don't use parrafin for candles so thought this would be a great use for it. You really don't smell any scent at all from any firestarter once it starts burning, but people just expect them to have scent.

Lori640 Here is what I found.. I have to make them yet..

Table salt – Yellow flame – The grocery store. You can use the same stuff you fill your salt shaker with.

Borax (sodium tetraborate) – Yellow-green flame – 20 mule team borax, in the laundry aisle.

Salt substitute (potassium) – Violet flame – The grocery store

Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) – White flame – A pharmacy

Bright red flame – Strontium chloride – Used in aquarium keeping somehow, so check a speciality aquarium store.

Boric acid – Deep red flame – Try the pharmacy.

Hope that helps.