Lard Soap ?

Jcandleattic

I've just recently (like 2 months) started to incorporate Lard into my recipes and have a question -

Is it just me or does anyone else notice that the lard soaps melt away a LOT faster than an all veggie soap? Mine have been. The only ones that seem to last as long as my normal all veggie soaps are ones that I use lard at less than 20%.

I made a 100% lard soap about 6 weeks ago and just started using it about 4 days ago and it's already down to about 1/2 the size as the original bar was. Also, it never really got super hard - or is lard like OO and need an extra long cure to get brick hard?

I'm at work and don't have my exact recipe except for the 100% bar but will post it once I get home if you guys think it will be helpful.

If anyone has any insight, advice or just general comments, all would be welcome.

TIA

J

Mine get quite hard and last longer than my all-veggie bars. :cheesy2: I've never made 100% lard soap, though.

I have two favorite lard bars. One with 26.5% lard and one with 23%. In my bars with the 23%, I also use 20% tallow in conjuction with the lard, and the combo of the two is phenominal. The addition of the tallow increases the hardness and longevity values even more.

In my 26.5% lard bar, I don't have tallow in it, but I have a lot of PKO in it, which lends a good level of hardness and longevity (and bubbles). It also has olive and castor in it, and it bubbles quite readily and copiously.

I must say that one thing I have noticed with my soaps over time is that if a bar of my soap bubbles up quite readily and copiously, it lasts much longer in my shower than those that are slower to lather, because the quick and copius lathering soap is not being overworked as much as the other to build up the lather and get it going. Maybe the reason why your 100% lard soap is disappearing quicker is because it's being overworked perhaps to get the lather going? Don't know if that helps, but that's all I can come up with as the possible culprit right now.

MarieJeanette :)

Tallow makes a very creamy soap. Its the natural stearic in it that makes it so creamy.

The higher the stearic, also the harder the bar.

Lard is not as affective as beef or other meat tallows in regards to the steric level.

If you still want to use lard, then you may want to add some straight 100% stearic acid (palm stearic is the plant form), which will up the creaminess as well as the hardness.

If you have enough creaminess and just want a harder bar, then add regular Palm oil. Regular palm oil has less stearic acid than lard or tallow, but has the most palmatic acid, which gives soap a true hardening factor without adding more creaminess.

The higher the stearic, also the harder the bar.

If you have enough creaminess and just want a harder bar, then add regular Palm oil. Regular palm oil has less stearic acid than lard or tallow, but has the most palmatic acid, which gives soap a true hardening factor without adding more creaminess.

AFTER posting this, (lol - I should have researched before posing the question) I looked at my veggie recipes. Almost all of them have Palm or PKO in them. I think I'll experiment with adding some in my next soap I use lard with.

That will still not help my problem I have with my 100% lard bars (which my 5oz after cure bars are GONE within about 10-12 days with only me using it) but that's for another day to try and figure out.

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you,

J

It's puzzling your lard bars are melting faster. My experience has been the opposite i.e. they make for a hard and long-lasting bar. One thing about lard though, is that it produces less lather. At least, if you're using 100% lard. I wonder if you're scrubbing harder at the bar to compensate for the lower lathering, and inadvertently using more soap than usual?

It's puzzling your lard bars are melting faster. My experience has been the opposite i.e. they make for a hard and long-lasting bar. One thing about lard though, is that it produces less lather. At least, if you're using 100% lard. I wonder if you're scrubbing harder at the bar to compensate for the lower lathering, and inadvertently using more soap than usual?

Trust me, if shes making veggie soaps with Palm oil, they will be harder than Lard. The Palmitic acid content (a true hardener in soap) in Palm Oil has almost twice the amount as what Lard has.

It wont be creamier though ;-)

Its all about knowing your Acid Contents. :grin2:

I dont' think so, but who knows. I could be. I use a loofah poof and even use it with my salt bars, and those don't disappear as fast as the lard bars do.

I made my first 40% lard soap Aug. 3..

After reading this post..I checked on them..

They seem to be getting really hard, I couldn't resist,

I cut off the end of one and tried it on my hands..

Oh my!! the bubbles and such a creamy creamy feeling..

I think I am going to love them..I can't wait until they

are cured..So I can really try them out...

I made my first 40% lard soap Aug. 3..

After reading this post..I checked on them..

They seem to be getting really hard, I couldn't resist,

I cut off the end of one and tried it on my hands..

Oh my!! the bubbles and such a creamy creamy feeling..

I think I am going to love them..I can't wait until they

are cured..So I can really try them out...

I am sooo tempted to start making mine with Lard, cause they do end up sooo much creamier and cheaper to make......:undecided

I havent quite given up yet on veggie oils though. i feel I have almost achieved the same properties of creamyness and hardness with just the right balance of Shea butter and Palm oil. Just takes a little more time and patience with the formulating though. :o

It will definatly be a more expensive price per bar. ;)

Yes Carrie, the vegie bars are alot higher to make...

Mine has 29% olive..so lard bars are quite alot cheaper..

My all vegie bars are great too..so I am going to be really

happy if these lard bars have as good bubbles and creaminess as my others..so far so good...

Let the testing begin :grin2: